Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bishop John Sentamu goes to York

(13 Posts)
Marina Fri 17-Jun-05 11:06:44

The Church of England's first black Archbishop! Hurrah! Top guy, well-deserved promotion.
Here

assumedname Fri 17-Jun-05 11:07:55

Good for him!

Shame there are no women bishops, though.

Gwenick Fri 17-Jun-05 11:08:02

Fantastic

bundle Fri 17-Jun-05 11:14:35

I'm all for this, roll on the first black, female Pope

Marina Fri 17-Jun-05 11:24:13

I think we might need to wait a while for that bundle
so I wonder who'll get Birmingham? Hard act to follow after John, David and Hugh before them...
Bring on Jeffrey John I say.
The man was robbed last time, I was so ashamed to be C of E that day

HappyHuggy Fri 17-Jun-05 11:48:40

Ive met him - he did my confermation last year

good for him!!!

welshmum Fri 17-Jun-05 11:54:06

I've met him too - he's a top bloke. Did you know he was held prisoner in Uganda by Idi Amin? He chained him up in a kennel as I recall.

HappyHuggy Fri 17-Jun-05 12:06:55

i didnt know that - poor bloke.

fisil Fri 17-Jun-05 12:19:25

He was our bishop in Stepney. We had a picture of him on our fridge with a quote from him saying "I don't know what heaven is like, but I imagine it to be something like Stepney."

Marina Fri 17-Jun-05 14:40:28

Anyone else confirmed by a celeb bishop then? I was "done" by the adorable, media-lionised David Sheppard when he was Bish of Woolwich...the Mothers' Union were all of a twitter. He was really very charismatic.
That is awful about John Sentamu. What a wicked regime Idi Amin's was.

welshmum Fri 17-Jun-05 14:45:40

Bishop John was our bishop in Stepney too. I was confirmed by Richard Chartres - now bish of London. Is he a celeb - he did do the overnight vigil at Diana's coffin - and is godfather to the princes I think. he's another top bish - really inspiring despite his opinion of women priests.

Marina Fri 17-Jun-05 15:10:32

He is a telegraph pole celeb. He visited my previous workplace to consult the archives and when he stood up to leave he just kept on going, and going, and going...
Oh he counts welshmum! I think he is great too, despite the ordination of women issue.

welshmum Fri 17-Jun-05 16:07:08

He confirmed my god daughter last week and I rather cornily presented my 2 week old son to him after the service - don't know what I expected him to do he duly admired him in a bishopy kind of way.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now