Talk

Advanced search

Baptists - what do they believe???? And does it matter that I don't believe in it but DD does

(14 Posts)
Comfortableshoes Sat 31-Oct-09 19:34:38

We recently moved to this area and in an attempt for DD to get to know some local kids she's started going to after school club at the Baptist Church and goes to Sunday School by herself. SHe has a great time and loves it - but what do Baptists believe... From my perspective (ex RC - spiritual wanderer) they seem v v nice but just a bit too happy clappy for me. And how do I explain the Holy Ghost - i've heard her sing about it in one of her songs. Also - does it matter sending DD to something I don't know about but am happy for her to participate in. (BTW DH (her step) is a devout aetheist) Do you think she'll get confused.

Would love to know your opinions.

Earlybird Sat 31-Oct-09 19:36:01

How old is your dd?

Comfortableshoes Sat 31-Oct-09 19:42:33

DD is 5 and a half. I leave her at Sunday School with one of the after school leaders

GladysFox Sat 31-Oct-09 19:42:35

I went to a Baptist church as a young kid. They believe the the same stuff as C of E, but they don't believe in baptising babies, only older children / adults as they think people should make their own decision to get baptised or not.

They're also big on the Holy Spirit, more so than C of E and are more 'happy clappy' as you say grin

I don't think there's any harm in your DD going to the club / sunday school, if she wants to go then let her

CarGirl Sat 31-Oct-09 19:44:35

they are mainstream Christian so don't panick! They have believers baptism and believe in the power of the Holy Spirit for the here & now not just new testament times.

apostropheisback Sat 31-Oct-09 19:46:56

The Holy Spirit is what Catholics call the Holy Ghost.

Comfortableshoes Sat 31-Oct-09 20:00:36

Yep I thought it was only the RC's who referred to the HOly Ghost so I was really surprised when I heard DD singing her Powerpack song about the HOly Ghost. Well, as an RC I never quite understood Holy Ghost/ Spirit stuff....- can someone give me a simple explanation simple enough for a 46 year old mother of a 5 year old.

CarGirl Sat 31-Oct-09 20:08:08

The HS is one of the trinity and he is the person who gives believers the power we need to change to love other people like Jesus.

Perhaps you need to explain the trinity that God is 3 in 1 all are equal Father, Son & HS.

YOu can always tell her to ask the sunday school teachers!

Comfortableshoes Sat 31-Oct-09 20:14:52

thanks for the explanation. I was thinking of telling her it was Jesus with a white sheet on.. but that's just a bit heretical...!!

FanofFireworks Mon 02-Nov-09 23:49:35

Tell her it's God's power which we can't see, that he sent to Earth to remind people of God and Jesus after Jesus went back to Heaven, if she is getting confused

LOL @ Jesus in a sheet! I find it helpful to think of water in it's 3 states; ice, liquid and steam = 3 types, 1 entity = trinity (sort of!)

Northernlurker Mon 02-Nov-09 23:53:13

If your babtist church is anything like ours then very few of the people there will actually be born and bred baptists. We've got everything in ours - anglicans, catholics, brethren, methodists, pentecostal - we all rub along fine believing that Chist died for us.

Northernlurker Mon 02-Nov-09 23:53:51

babtist? Chist?

blush

That would be baptist and Christ then blush

weegiemum Tue 03-Nov-09 13:15:33

Yes, I'm (currently) Baptist, having been brought up presbyterian and spent 12 years in the Anglican church.

The biggest difference is the baptism stuff and if your dd is only 5 that won't be an issue for a while grin

Powerpack is good - our church used their materials for several years but now have done it all I think!! Is the song "God is in the House"? That's one of our kids favourites (my dd2 is also 5).

Have you ever thought abou tgoing along yourself?

Comfortableshoes Thu 05-Nov-09 07:07:29

Good morning friends!

Well as fate would have it - last Sunday DD wanted me to stay in the service until Sunday School started. I was only there for half an hour and it was v lively!!
To my total astonishment they had an adult baptism. I was at the back and couldn't quite see what was going on - then noticed all the action was being shown on a video screen overhead - there was man walking into a swimming pool!! (I had no idea they had a pool under the floor.) Four people got baptised and it was v moving hearing their testimonies. Not quite sure it's my cup of tea - all the singing and hand waving - I prefer the Quakers, but its definitely fun. And who says the devil has all the best tunes - we love singing "God is in the House" - particularly in the morning when aetheist DH is just getting up.

Have a good day xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now