Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help me with church sevices

(7 Posts)
emily05 Tue 14-Jun-05 11:37:41

I am planning on going to church for the first time. My local church has the following service:

Holy communion - what exactly is this service?
Evening prayer - is this literally prayers - in the evening!
please advise - I know this is a daft question but I am clueless about this!
thanks

Gwenick Tue 14-Jun-05 11:39:18

Holy Communion - this is the service where the communion is given out, there's usually hymns, prayers, and sermons too.

Evening prayer - is sometimes the other name for 'Evensong" which is quite an 'old fashioned' service.

emily05 Tue 14-Jun-05 11:40:55

thanks grenwick. so the communion service doesnt involve going up the front of the church or doing anything other than singing, praying and listening?! (am really nervous!)

Mothernature Tue 14-Jun-05 11:44:12

Holy Communion - also called The Eucharist, Breaking of Bread, the Lord's Supper and Mass. It is a symbol, that Jesus gave to us, so that we can remember that he died for us.

The bread represents his body, the wine represents his blood which seals God's new covenant. By faith, in eating of the memorial bread, Christians realize his presence. Through Jesus, Christians are members of God's covenant community.

See Matthew 26:26-29; Mark 14:22-25; Luke 22:14-20; 1 Corinthians 11:23-25; John 6:48-58

Evening Prayer is just that prayersfrom the Holy book in the evening..HTH

Gwenick Tue 14-Jun-05 11:44:50

you don't have to go up to communion if you don't want to - just stay in your seat - although most churches say that even if you 'don't' want to actually recieve communion you can still walk up (with everyone else) and recieve the blessing.

Tissy Tue 14-Jun-05 11:46:16

emily, Communion does involve going up to the front of the Church, but only if you want to. Confirmed people who want to take Communion go up then, and others who want a ersonal blessing go up then, but you don't have to, and there will be plenty of people who just sit in their seats until Communion is over.

Evensong is prayers and hymns, and an old-fashioned service as Gwenick said. No Communion here.

emily05 Tue 14-Jun-05 11:59:23

thanks for this guys, a lot clearer now and not feeling as nervous. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now