Talk

Advanced search

Please - Any suggestions on Christian names for babies - Boys & Girls

(22 Posts)
Mama2b5 Wed 21-Oct-09 21:11:32

Hi just would like some ideas of Christian names for unborn child - Boys and girls.
I have thoughts of some but cant find a balance for me and DH to be happy with.

AMumInScotland Wed 21-Oct-09 21:18:23

Hi - do you mean ones which are very specifically Christian then?

I guess for boys the apostles would be the obvious ones - Peter, Paul, Matthew, Andrew, Thomas... err... memory gives up at that point, since you wouldn't want Judas... Joseph is nice too.

Girls in the NT - Mary, Martha, Elizabeth

OT - Joshua, Samuel, David, Saul
Rebecca, Hannah, Sarah

GrimmaTheNome Wed 21-Oct-09 21:20:28

Ruth, Naomi and Miriam are nice too.

Bible is stuffed with good names (plus a few stinkers like Hepzibah and Haggai grin)

AMumInScotland Wed 21-Oct-09 21:26:08

here's a website but I think it's very American... I doubt "Memphis" is going to be a popular UK name anytime soon...

Waswondering Wed 21-Oct-09 21:31:45

Eve, Deorah, Ruth, Rachel, Leah, Sarah, Hannah

Adam, Noah, Daniel, Jude (cool!), Jonah, Joel, David, Samuel, Jonathan, Luke, Timothy, James (like that a lot!), Philip

and so on!

Off the top of my head . . .

Enjoy!

Pinkfluffyslippers Wed 21-Oct-09 21:35:10

I named DD "Elizabeth" before she was born. After she was born I discovered that St Elizabeth's saints day is November 5th - which is the day I had my first scan.
Spooky..

When considering names for DD my mum got out a book of dogs names for ideas.... shock Do not resort to this!!

X

Mama2b5 Wed 21-Oct-09 21:40:48

Hi thanks for the comments and names - i am after strong biblical names in which has strong meanings! we have had so many babies born in our church, so all names are gone and i would love something that when i call my child - 20 people don't turn and look!wink

MrsBadger Wed 21-Oct-09 21:47:25

Susanna

ja9 Wed 21-Oct-09 21:48:10

what names are out? ie have been used already?

ja9 Wed 21-Oct-09 21:52:38

eli, timothy, thomas, reuben, levi, jacob,

lydia
phoebe

MrsBadger Wed 21-Oct-09 21:56:19

There are some cracking Hebrew names too - more often found on Jewish babies these days but still very biblical
Talia
Aviva
Yael

also
Esther
Jemima

MrsBadger Wed 21-Oct-09 21:57:51

Tabitha

Mama2b5 Wed 21-Oct-09 22:03:10

hi - yes the usual ones are over used -
michael, joshua, celab,nathan, daniel, gabrielle,matthew,samual,naomi,sarah,hope,davidgrace,mikiel,emmauelle,joy,elizabeth, mary.etc

clearly i would like a name in which my chid doesnt have to keep spelling it because its hard for others to but as that i wanted a name thats not be used before or not so much! i have some many others, but its a big church and way to many names to mention! Bless you for the efforts!

ja9 Wed 21-Oct-09 22:19:06

so have we posted any so far you are interested in?

GhoulishFan Fri 23-Oct-09 00:52:50

Aaron, Abigail, Anna, Bethany, Bethan, Caleb, Eden, Elijah, Elisha, Esther, Ethan, Ezra, Hannah, Isaac, Jacob, James, Jemima, Jesse, Joanna, Jochbed, Joel, Josiah, Jonathan, Jude, Leah, Lydia, Mark, Martha, Mary, Micah, Miriam, Naomi, Nathan, Nathaniel, Noah, Peter, Phoebe, Philip, Rachel, Rebekah / Rebecca, Ruth, Simeon, Simon, Stephen, Susanna(h), Tabitha, Thomas, Timothy, Tobiah, Zachariah / Zechariah, Zacchaeus

Geocentric Fri 23-Oct-09 01:03:51

Theresa, Magdalena. Maybe two names together like Mary Ann?

Mama2b5 Fri 23-Oct-09 06:15:11

Im praying for God to let me know what i should call this child!smile

Thanks for all your wonderful efforts!(especially Ja9 and GF) i do believe its so more then a name and dont want to pick the incorrect one, the MEANING of the name is also extremely important to us!grin

jocie Thu 29-Oct-09 20:45:32

hi, i was the same, wanted very strong biblical names but wanted them to be unusual(my husband did'nt really)
I liked Ethan, Jared, Josiah, Josias, Joses,
Aiden, Finnian, Jed, Rueben,
Eliva, Natalia, Lucia, Felicity, Celeste, Sariel, Kyria.
Hope some of these help.
I spent ages on the internet researching unusual biblical/christian names.blush

ja9 Thu 29-Oct-09 20:49:59

is ethan biblical? really?

ja9 Thu 29-Oct-09 20:50:39

jocie did you use any of them?

choosyfloosy Thu 29-Oct-09 20:57:42

Boys- Malachi, Joel, Elijah, Peter, or a new favourite of mine - Linus?

Girls - Tamar, Miriam, Deborah, Susannah? I also loved Magdalena posted above.

jocie Thu 29-Oct-09 21:07:39

yes ethan is biblical, the name is found in 1 Kings, 1 Chronicals and 'Ethan' wrote Psalm 89!( We used that one as we only knew of 1 other Ethan although since then we have come across loads hence why we went a little more unusual second time around with Jared which is found in Genisis 5)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now