Talk

Advanced search

In what ways are people who are vehemently anti-religion similar to homophobes?

(6 Posts)
MonstrousMerryHenry Wed 14-Oct-09 11:40:14

I was pretending to sleep while earwigging someone's convo on the train the other day (what?? I didn't have a book with me, alright?! grin) and heard them discussing what they termed 'religiophobia' - where people have a strong intolerance of religion. They linked it to other societal phobias such as homophobia, saying that they thought the people who had such feelings and thoughts about religion were masking their own fears, just as a homophobe is masking their own fears about homosexuality.

Thoughts, anyone?

scarletlilybug Wed 14-Oct-09 11:45:17

Sounds a bit strange to me.

Can only assume the people you heard were religious people who felt that they were somehow discriminated against/constantly had to justify their beliefs.

daftpunk Wed 14-Oct-09 11:51:30

not sure what you mean...i know anti -gay people are supposed to be latent homosexuals.... are anti-religious people really dying to be catholic or something...?

Itsjustafleshwound Wed 14-Oct-09 11:56:21

But you choose to be religious - you don't choose to be gay??

DuelingFANGo Wed 14-Oct-09 11:56:54

Depends on how you define 'Anti-religion'

MonstrousMerryHenry Wed 14-Oct-09 12:36:18

I wish I could remember more about this conversation...should have recorded it on my mobile, eh? wink

No idea about their religious background, scarletlily, it sounded like a philosophical convo so you could assume either way - they could be agnostics who take issue with atheists, for example.

As for the choice issue - the way I understand it I think that's a separate point; they were discussing the behaviours and thoughts of 'anti-religious' people rather than the origins of religion and homosexuality.

DuellingFANgo - yes, you're right, the definition is important. For e.g. I have a friend who takes a dogmatic black/ white view on just about every aspect of life, and is fiercely anti-religion, so much so that he refuses to even have a convo about it. I'd say he'd fit into their 'anti-religious' construct - incidentally he is definitely a 'masker' in many aspects of life so possibly with regard to religion as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now