Talk

Advanced search

Really dim christening question...

(9 Posts)
SardineQueen Thu 08-Oct-09 17:35:27

We are thinking about getting our DDs christened. We are going to a CofE church but I was actually brought up RC and DH is URC.

When it comes to godparents - do they have to be C0fE too- or will any branch of christianity count? I know with RC they have to be RC and DH says he isn't sure what the URC do...

Anyone know? It's just that I'd like some of my friends to be godparents but they're all RC - will that be alright?

daisydora Thu 08-Oct-09 17:37:29

As far as I am aware religion of godparent is not relevant in Cof E.

PandaG Thu 08-Oct-09 17:37:59

AFAIK CofE godparents can be any denomination - I'm a godparent to several children, some from a CofE church and I am a Christian first and foremost, but worship as a baptist

SardineQueen Thu 08-Oct-09 17:39:31

Oooh thanks that was quick!

So it's just the RC who are a bit fussy then smile - unfortunately that's what I'm used to, I don't know the "rules" for CofE!

Will be brilliant if my RC friends can do it.

TheProvincialLady Thu 08-Oct-09 17:42:21

My DS1 has two RC godparents and two Quakers. We are CofE.

SardineQueen Thu 08-Oct-09 19:46:49

Thanks as well provinciallady, looks like I have it sussed then smile

MaryBS Fri 09-Oct-09 08:14:34

I was brought up RC, and had my two baptized in the C of E. One of them had RC Godparents. There is a requirement for the Godparents to be baptized, but not every vicar checks. And if they're RC,they'll have been baptized!

LittleSilver Thu 15-Oct-09 19:55:42

Ooh, gosh, our vicar would flip if godparets not Christian. They also have to be baptised and "in communion ith the C of E".

alittlebitshy Thu 15-Oct-09 20:02:28

Just as maryBS said. I know my dh forgets to check sometimes but in theory they need to be baptised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now