Talk

Advanced search

Rosary - do you pray it?

(14 Posts)
KayHarkerIsKayHarker Tue 06-Oct-09 21:00:39

How often? and how? Just curious

Beanie4 Wed 07-Oct-09 10:13:02

Twice this year in my house when I have had a visit from our Church's Legion of Mary group. I know people who say the full Rosary every morning though.

acorntree Wed 07-Oct-09 10:32:30

Yes – in my last parish it was a weekly thing at a prayer group I was part of. Now just when I creep into the church to pray or sometimes at night when I can’t sleep, or occasionally with my dd when she asks.

acorntree Wed 07-Oct-09 10:42:43

...sorry- I didn’t say how often – I always carry a rosary with me in case, but only pray it when it feels appropriate, which is probably a few times a month.

KayHarkerIsKayHarker Wed 07-Oct-09 15:24:54

Thanks for the answers - I have a friend who prays five decades every night and I wondered how commonplace that was.

DutchOma Wed 07-Oct-09 20:22:46

But how do you do it? I have seen a rosary, with the cross on the end, ut have no idea how to use it.

Beanie4 Wed 07-Oct-09 21:18:01

DutchOma, its very detailed, hope I can explain it easily for you as I understand it. Start on the cruifix : 'The Apostles' Creed, Our Father..., Hail Marys x 3, Our Father..., Glory Be.... Continue these first prayers on the straight bit of the Rosary Beads in sequence. Start each decade with Our Father..., Hail Marys x 10, finishing on Glory Be...

By saying 5 decades you will have completed one full circle of the Rosary.

To finish you chosen number of decades, pray " Hail Holy Queen..."

Keep in mind on each decade a story in the life of Mary and Jesus, there are 20 stories, or 'Mysteries'. These Mysteries are grouped into

The Joyful Mysteries ( eg The Annunciation )
The Mysteries of Light (eg Christ's Baptism )
The Sorrowfull ( Crowning with Thorns )
The Glorious Mysteries ( eg The Ascension )

The Mysteries are prayed on certain days of the week.

You can obtain a leaflet from Crown of Thorns registered charity number 1042751

You can say the Rosary anywhere but somepeople like to kneel before a statue of the Blessed Virgin, with roses and candles.

Beanie4 Wed 07-Oct-09 21:20:12

oh and extra prayers maybe added as you wish, for example the Memorare

macmam Wed 07-Oct-09 21:52:06

DH prays the full five decades every day. I am not so ninja and pray it a couple of times a month. Teaching my kids it when we say our prayers at night by doing an abridged version....Actually really love it and find myself very peaceful during and after...we often add on the Fatima prayer at the end of every decade.

Beanie4 Wed 07-Oct-09 22:13:02

Id love a partner to pray with but DH is not a believer sad , yet wink

MaryBS Thu 08-Oct-09 07:50:26

Keep asking God for it Beanie, my DH has recently started going to church

how to pray the rosary

acorntree Thu 08-Oct-09 09:57:48

I do have quite a few friends who would say a complete rosary every day. It depends how you prefer to pray. Like macman, I find it very peaceful and I also find it very helpful when my mind is racing and I can’t concentrate on other prayer.

DutchOma Thu 08-Oct-09 10:33:58

Thank you all very much, I've wanted to know for quite a long time.

Pinkfluffyslippers Sat 10-Oct-09 08:00:26

Out of interest - just how long does it take to say a Rosary... ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now