Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good Study Bible please?

(14 Posts)
gingertoo Tue 06-Oct-09 12:24:19

I work with children and young people in the church and am hoping to start the Certificate in Christian Discipleship next year.

I'm looking for a Study Bible that will help me further understand the Bible, which maybe relates passages of the bible to living in the modern world and also helps me show how the Bible is relevant to young people...

Anyone got any ideas?

Itsjustafleshwound Tue 06-Oct-09 12:29:57

Life Application Study Bible

The Message

MaryBS Tue 06-Oct-09 12:33:48

Our youth use the Youth bible, and is a 'proper' translation.

The Message is REALLY excellent, but it is a very "free" translation, so can't really be used on its own.

I've also heard that The Word on the Street is also highly rated, but not used it myself

weegiemum Tue 06-Oct-09 12:33:50

Better to have a decent Bible and then buy some varied commentaries/books on theology.

Study Bibles often "push" a certain viewpoint. I can recommend Stanley Grenz "Theology For the Community of God" if you want a great, balanced theological textbook.

Who are you doing the Certificate with?

If you work with children, there is a book by Catherine Stonehouse called "Joining Children on the Spiritual Journey" which is brilliant! Also another book by Hay and Nye called "Spirit of the Child" or Robert Coles "Spiritual Life of Children".

Not sure about older "young people" but these books were core in my "Children's Ministry" courses at Bible College.

gingertoo Tue 06-Oct-09 13:09:02

Thanks Didn't know whether I'd get any replies!

I'll have a look at your suggestions, thank you.

weegiemum - The course is offered through the Diocese locally but the qualification is awarded through the University of Wales Lampeter.

I'm desperate to get on with it, but I need to wait until next year when my youngest starts pre-school so I've got time to do the assignments.

In the mean time I'm trying to read and learn as much as I can.

FaithinQuestion Tue 06-Oct-09 18:39:29

I like the Tyndale study bible, or the life application study bibles

KayHarkerIsKayHarker Tue 06-Oct-09 21:04:28

Another vote for Life Application.

I've got the MacArthur SB, The Reformation SB and the Orthodox SB, and coupled with some other concordances and commentaries, I'm kept quite busy with a breadth of viewpoints. But the Life Application is remarkably accessible.

MadHairDay Wed 07-Oct-09 10:50:23

I too like the Life Application and the good old NIV study bible. I would however recommend getting a good commentary alongside whatever bible you choose for more depth - sometimes the study bibles leave me frustrated at their lack of detail and depth as they simply don't have the room.

Some of the NT Wright ones are good and easy to follow, especially his 'Paul for everyone' series.

procrastinatingparent Wed 07-Oct-09 13:49:59

I need a new Bible as my old NIV study Bible fell apart. But to go NIV, TNIV or even ESV? I am still pondering ...

I will investigate the Life Application SB.

gingertoo Wed 07-Oct-09 14:12:37

I've just been speaking to my priest about this. He's suggested borrowing some from the Diocese Library to see what I think of them - I didn't realise I could do that! I'll definitely have a look at the Life Application SB and I'll see if they have any of the other suggestions so I can 'try before I buy'

MaryBS Wed 07-Oct-09 14:50:47

In terms of my own knowledge, and understanding context, I've found John Drane's books to be excellent. He does a guide to the NT and a separate guide to the OT, which are well worth looking at.

cheapskatemum Wed 07-Oct-09 22:06:50

Another vote for the NIV Life Application Bible!

I'm going to look out that"Paul for Everyone" text as well, thanks for the recommendation, MadHairDay (Which I am also having today, thanks to the wind & the rain)

weegiemum Wed 07-Oct-09 22:10:53

Oh Mary! John Drane is brilliant! As a student I went to the same church as him and was at Uni with his son. He is fantabulous!! Read anything and everything by him that you can!

We should start a CHristian Books recommendation thread, maybe!

weegiemum Wed 07-Oct-09 22:12:25

Could I suggest, for theoretical stuff "Reading The Bible For All It's Worth" by Gordon Fee. And for heavy duty application that makes you see things in a very different light, "Reading the Bible With The Damned" by Bob Ekblad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now