Talk

Advanced search

I feel like I have "inherited"; my catholicism - what makes you catholic?

(5 Posts)
KittyWalker Wed 30-Sep-09 20:09:01

My mum is catholic and we (me and my 2 DBs) have been brought up catholic. I was married in a catholic church (to a catholic) and we are bringing our 3 children up as catholic.

We are just moving house and having to find spaces at local schools for our 2 school age DCs. I have been offered spaces in very good catholic school. DH is delighted as he is a very keen catholic IYKWIM - but it has got me thinking......what makes me a catholic? Have I just inherited it and gone "along" with it or all these years?

Can you help? What makes you a catholic?

KittyWalker Wed 30-Sep-09 20:55:54

bump

marialuisa Wed 30-Sep-09 21:03:46

I'm also a cradle catholic but I'm married to an atheist and although DD is being brought up RC she doesn't go to a RC school.

For me it's a big part of my identity, I went to RC school and am stil in touch with many of my friends, oddly none of us has really "left" the church despite doubts and disagreements. It's a sort of reference point. I did have quite a tricky time during my teens and the church gave me a bit of stability. DD made her first hc last year and the parents' course really brought home to me how deep rooted it all is in me.

MaryBS Wed 30-Sep-09 21:13:39

Don't know if this counts. I was brought up RC. Was brought up to believe that the RC way was the best way, it had been handed down from the apostles, any other form of Christianity was second best.

Am now Anglo-Catholic, where I retain (most of) my RC beliefs but in the Anglican church. Because the divorce/annulment situation was a deal-breaker for me. However there is still some part of me still residing in the RCC (once a Catholic and all that).

(Hope my vicar doesn't see this!)

KittyWalker Wed 30-Sep-09 21:56:34

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now