Talk

Advanced search

RC Baptism- I'm looking for readings, any suggestions?

(4 Posts)
anonacfr Sun 27-Sep-09 19:29:33

Hello
I am christening my son next week and haven't had an opportunity to meet with the priest yet.
I'm not sure if I need to pick my own readings or if he will offer me a selection.
Just in case can anyone offer me good suggestions for a first reading and a gospel?

Thanks in advance!

jcscot Sun 27-Sep-09 21:01:45

The baptism service (if performed outside of Mass) has it's own format and (IIRC) there is a set passage from the gospels.

If the baptism is perfomed as part of a Mass, then the readings for that day and cycle will be used.

jcscot Sun 27-Sep-09 21:02:05

its - not it's.

MaryBS Sun 27-Sep-09 21:09:03

At my neices' RC baptism, there was a choice of readings, from a set list. They used Mark 10:13-16:

"People were bringing little children to him in order that he might touch them; and the disciples spoke sternly to them. But when Jesus saw this, he was indignant and said to them, ‘Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.’ And he took them up in his arms, laid his hands on them, and blessed them. "

Paul's Epistles say some nice things about baptism, so perhaps a passage from one of them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now