Talk

Advanced search

Is it unusual for parents to be their childs god parents?

(17 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Wed 09-Sep-09 15:32:37

Have been wanting to get DD christened however there is only one person who I would like to ask, as DD is now nearing 18 mths I want to get this sorted out. I did think that as time went on it would be clear who to ask as it would be people who were taking an interest in her but it's just not happened. I understadn that the childs parents can also be the god parents, does anyone have any experience of this? It sounded a little strange at first but I think I quite like it.

LynetteScavo Wed 09-Sep-09 16:10:58

I din't think parents could be God parents, but I suppsoed it depends on the church.

Can't you just have one God parent?

Itsjustafleshwound Wed 09-Sep-09 16:39:16

I think traditionally godparents are selected to look after the child should the parents die before the child attains majority and is meant to be a mentor for the child's spiritual education? So, I think parents are excluded from being the godparents

The are usually three godparents - two men and a woman for a boy and two women and a man for a girl - and some churches insist that the godparents are baptised (and confirmed???) themselves. Though, I am sure that you can have as many or a few godparents as you wish ...

I wasn't confirmed as a child - I was baptised on the Friday and confirmed on the Sunday (I was 16yo)

Personally, if you are sure you want your child confirmed I would speak to the minister and see what he/she suggests ...

bigboydiditandranaway Wed 09-Sep-09 20:45:42

No that's wrong for CofE, we didn't have anybody else we really new well enough to choose as a godparent, so dh is being one along with bil and sister.

Have heard of this before, mums friends son also being, quite normal!

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 09-Sep-09 21:52:02

Thanks bigboy

Just don't want to ask people for the sake of it, I really want it to mean something.

Hulababy Wed 09-Sep-09 21:57:42

Have never heard of parents being godparents for their own children.

I thought the idea of godparents was to extend the child's family circle, and offer moral/religious support for the child as it grows up.

You can have any number of godparents, and presumably also no godparents too. You don;t have to have three, and there is not set requirement of genders either.

Some churches insist on godparents being baptised in some faith, and at leat one in the faith the child is being baptised. However, different churches have different feelings on this.

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 09-Sep-09 22:00:24

DH and I are DS2's godparents (along side a Godmother who's turned out to be a right cow - but that's another thread) (or it is DS1's godparents along side my brother - I've forgotten blush)

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 10-Sep-09 10:34:15

I thought it had to be at least three and at least two had to be the same sex and at least one had to be the other sex...oh well guess I'm gonna have to ring the church and feel a bit silly [blush}

alwayslookingforanswers Thu 10-Sep-09 12:10:46

not as far as I know I've checked with DH and

DS1 - 1 Godparent - a male
DS2 - 3 Godparents - woman, plus me and DH
DS3 - 3 Godparents, 2 women 1 man,

zoejeanne Thu 10-Sep-09 12:13:57

I am the only god parent to my niece and the church were happy with that, I felt very honoured to be her god mother, especially her only one.

pop1973 Thu 10-Sep-09 12:19:22

For my first child, he had my bil (who was away overseas in the force - so husband stood in as proxy), my brother (who was working overseas as well) - so friend of the family stood in as proxy, and myself as (godmother).

It is up to the church. Normally have 3 godparents, but again it is down to the vicar and who you want to ask - normal for the godparents to be baptised - or they normally just ask for the parents of the child if they have been christened and might ask if they know which church they were christened in.

seeker Thu 10-Sep-09 12:28:12

I thought the whole point of godparents was that they were "extra" people who can keep an eye on the child and offer a refuge and an alternative point of view as they grow up. Seems a shame not to have another few people involved - it takes a village..... and so on.

cat64 Thu 10-Sep-09 12:31:32

Message withdrawn

Carrotfly Thu 10-Sep-09 12:36:34

DH is Godfather to DS1.

Its perefectly acceptable in CoE churches.

Convention is usually 3 adults (2 of same sex as child and 3rd the opposite sex)

DS1 was complicated ... asked BIL who was a bit vague about the whole thing, and who probably didnt really want the responsibility and seemed to be doing it just for the sake of it. In the end we thought it best for him not to be it, but felt awkward about asking a 'better' male friend. The minister suggested DH be the 2nd male.

God parents are completely different from legal guardians. They (guardians)are the people you want your children to live with in the event of anything awful happening to you.

cat64 Thu 10-Sep-09 12:40:56

Message withdrawn

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 10-Sep-09 12:58:43

Seeker its not that I don't want others involved, I really do. My brother and his wife haven't taken much interest and tbh nethier has anyone else. The friend i want ot ask is my BF and has been for a number of years. She's every good with DD even though she's not really 'into' children iykwim.

I just don't want to ask people just to make the numbers up tbh as thats seems wrong to me.

My godmother declined her invote to my wedding till she was reminded by an uncle she was my god mother smile

dotty2 Thu 10-Sep-09 13:10:20

My dad is one of my godparents and I did feel a tiny bit short-changed on the "extra people who care about you" front. But then, he has definitely done more for my moral and spiritual development than either of the other two, who were almost entirely hands-off, have ever done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now