Talk

Advanced search

Baptism question...

(16 Posts)
Sparklyblue Tue 08-Sep-09 14:55:54

Would anyone be able to tell me if a child can get baptised during Advent in the catholic church.
Thanks

Sparklyblue Tue 08-Sep-09 15:19:06

Anyone??

MrsBadger Tue 08-Sep-09 15:20:46

oh I should think so

not like it;s Lent

ask the priest

i think it should be fine. might depend on the church though.

Sparklyblue Tue 08-Sep-09 15:22:27

Thanks very much.

weegiemum Tue 08-Sep-09 15:27:10

I've had a bit of a rake around my various service books etc (am a happy clappy baptist so no child baptism here ) which I collect as I love alternative types of worship

<<strange nutty weirdy type emoticon>>

Can't find anything to say you can't except maybe in Holy Week, which of course is Easter.

Sure someone will come along to correct me, but I can't find anything to say you can't!

Yorky Tue 08-Sep-09 15:29:16

Didn't realise Holy week could be a problem, DD was 'done' on Palm Sunday. Amglican though, don't know if that makes any differnce?

MrsBadger Tue 08-Sep-09 15:30:44

palm sunday is a 'good' day though
ditto easter sunday

you wouldn't do it on (eg) good friday when the altar is stripped etc
some places are funny about weddings in Lent too

weegiemum Tue 08-Sep-09 15:31:09

A couple of old books I have (am not looking through them all again!) suggested that Holy Week was "not appropriate" - though I would have thought that palm Sunday was good as it is a celebration!

Our church usually does several infant dedications on Easter Sunday morning and then several adult baptisms in the evening service!

Babysamrocks Wed 09-Sep-09 15:25:16

At our Catholic Church we baptise during advent.

Sparklyblue Fri 11-Sep-09 00:38:10

Thank you so much, I was scared to ask my priest in case it was frowned upon.
Cheers

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 11-Sep-09 00:42:02

DS1 was baptised on Christmas eve smile

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 11-Sep-09 00:42:37

oh - and DS3 (how could I forget it was less than a year ago) was Baptised on the first Sunday in advent.

Was lovely as DS1 and 2 lit the advent candle smile

Sparklyblue Fri 11-Sep-09 15:08:08

Alwayslookingforanswers - A christmas eve Baptism, how lovely.
I am hoping to have the Baptism on the 2nd Sunday of Advent.

insywinsyspider Mon 14-Sep-09 13:53:23

if it helps, ds3 will be baptised first Sunday in Advent this year, I think its a lovely time of year for Baptism as the light of candles are an important symbol of the season, of Jesus bringing the light to the darkness of our lives of newness, life and hope smile

oopsacoconut Thu 17-Sep-09 20:18:15

Our church allows and really encourages Advent baptisms, the priest believes it is a fantastic joyful time of year to welcome new memebers of the church. DD was baptised on Easter day, 4 other babies were baptised during mass but we had a seperate baptism later in the day for DD as her Godparents were flying in and couldn't get to the church for mass)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now