Talk

Advanced search

Christening and non church goer

(4 Posts)
MiniLlace Wed 02-Sep-09 10:52:21

Hi quick question - although I used to go to church regularly as a child (including sudy school/choir etc) - i made the choice as an adult not to go. I am still religious, however do not beleive it necessary to go to church to be so. However my DD1 is due in November this year and I feel strongly I would like her christened into the church and when at an appopriate age attend sunday school etc ie to give her a religious education and allow her to make the choice whether and how she continues this in later life. The question is how do I go about arranging a christening if i do not myself actively go to church - will i need to start or are most CoE vicars happy to christen a child if the parents are not churchgoers? .. if so how do i go about this. Many thanks in advance for any advice

nannymcphee Wed 02-Sep-09 13:54:33

Hi Minilace, if you have a church in mind, phone up the office and ask what their policy is. I'm sure the vicar would want to meet you before - some churches run a 'Baptism Supper' for couples wanting their children baptised. Or you could start going to church, enrol her in Sunday School and then let her decide later if she wants to be Christened. Our Vicar did that with his children as felt it should be their choice. We had ours christened when I felt I'd look ok in the photos!!!!

Churches should welcome you with open arms - church goer or not - if they don't, try another church/vicar.

AMumInScotland Wed 02-Sep-09 13:59:02

The CofE parish where you live has a duty to baptise anyone who asks, though they can ask you to do some preparation for it - in some cases they may want you to come to meetings for 2 or 3 weeks before the baptism. The point of that is to make sure you've had a think about what you're doing and why.

Most clergy will be very happy to do it, specially if you are planning to bring her to Sunday school.

Just phone up the church office, or pop round to a service and speak to either the vicar or whoever is doing things like handing out hymn books.

MiniLlace Wed 02-Sep-09 14:49:27

many thanks - i will give the church a call

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now