Talk

Advanced search

Is my mum haunting me?

(7 Posts)
HoppityBunny Tue 01-Sep-09 15:34:20

Hiya,

Don't exactly know if this is the most suitable place. But, anyway I am deaf from birth and cos of this I was especially close to my mother who she died 2 years before I married and 4 years before I had children.

But there has been some things niggling me. The latest thing I am going through at the moment is that I keep smelling 'stale cigarette smoke' in my house it comes and goes in certain places very spontaneously. No one else can smell it and I have even bought air fresheners and thought my neighbours must have taken up smoking, but they didn't. Everyone thought I was mad. And, then I realised there could be another explanation, my late mother, she had smoked all her adult life but I don't really remember her smelling of stale smoke. I wouldn't like to think it was her, cos the smell is not nice.
There have been other occasions. The first night my baby was home from the hospital, my doorbell rang a number of times persistently and my DH answered the door and had even looked out the window, but there was nobody there. And, our doorbell is very stiff to press and hasn't got a history of malfunctioning. There was another occasion, I have my mother's dinning room furniture in my home. One late night my DH had claimed he heard what he thought sounded like my mum's furniture's cabinet handles were all rattling, so he went downstairs to investigate and saw nothing. I know my DH is not the type to pull legs about this kind of stuff. Also there was the time my mother actually died. She died while I was aboard on holiday. I was sleeping in bed, I 'felt' some object scrapping and heavy being dragged across the floor of my ground floor holiday apartment. It so very loud the vibrations of it shook me awake. My DH, (fiancee at the time) was woken too. We looked around, but there was nothing there, and I was expecting to see something major like a table or bed pushed across the room or something. When I got home from holiday I realised that what happened at the apartment had happened on the same day and is around the same time of my mother's death.

Is it her? I don't believe in ghosts nor am I at all religious. Or am I being silly?

serant Tue 01-Sep-09 15:53:11

Hey, i don't think you are being silly at all.
I think we have to keep an open mind on such things, i myself have felt a person sit on my bed, it was not scary, infact i felt very calm about it, i didn't see anyone but knew there was something there..

DippyDino Tue 01-Sep-09 19:45:09

Just to point out that she is more likely 'just visiting' for example when your baby was home from hospital, rather than 'haunting' you in an always there kind of way.

She will probably want you to know that she is still around and is looking out for you.

DippyDino Tue 01-Sep-09 19:45:59

...and ask her to kindly smoke outside please!

slowreadingprogress Tue 01-Sep-09 20:27:38

Cigarette smoke is incredibly invasive. We get it through from our neighbours even with all doors and windows closed.

Doorbells are often on the same frequency as neighbours - we've had ours ring and ring because someone is on the same frequency as us

Your last two examples I'd discount because they happened while you were in bed. It's amazing how often spooky things seem to happen when people are in bed - it's called dreaming, or being at that strange state between sleep and waking!

Personally, I'd always rather stick to my real memories of the person and my real relationship with them. Hovering about smoking or rattling furniture handles - do you really think your mum's spirit is doing this and why would she?????

HoppityBunny Wed 02-Sep-09 09:01:51

thanks for your replies, helps to know weird things do happen to other people too!

Yeah you have an excellent point there 'slowreadingprogress'. Why would the hell my mother hang about smoking in corners of my house and rattling furniture handles!! It does not make any sense to me at all and after she's wasn't that type of person to do that anyway! Perhaps my DH was having 'a cabinet rattling dream' about hearing the nosies downstairs, I didn't hear them (deaf). And that awful crashing noise on holiday, both DH and I heard that but could have been anything innocent perhaps it was something outside.

Not sure about the doorbell though, it only ever rang alone like that on that particular occasion I described. If there was another frequency in the neighbourhood, it would have ranged and happened again.

If the stale smoke smell happens again, I will check outside on the pavement next time, and I do know the neigbours two down from me in another house smoke maybe it's from as far as them.

I think when someone close to us dies, it's all too easy to look for a sign because death is very final and harsh thing for us to accept. That one of the reasons I think why some of us we turn to reglion in the first place. Death is so very harsh almost destructive.

Thanks for your comments it puts thing into perceptive for me.

HoppityBunny Wed 02-Sep-09 09:25:40

P.S. the smoke

When I smell this smoke at the risk of looking slightly mad, I will say aloud 'DippyDino',"Can you smoke outside please" Just to see what happens, probably nothing. But it would be interesting to see if I will ever smell the smoke again after that.??

I do have a very heightened sense of smell because I lack another sense, (Perhaps if any of this was real! Maybe my mother senses this is the only way to communicate with me - by smell).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now