Talk

Advanced search

Ramadan and birthday party.

(8 Posts)
KIMItheThreadSlayer Wed 26-Aug-09 19:39:39

Ok came on to post this but got side tracked (the curse of mumsnet grin)

Right DS2 is having his birthday party on Saturday, his best mate from school who is Muslim and is coming, his dad said the little chaps mum will be dropping him off, she speaks no English so cam anyone tell me do children fast? He is 9. I do not have their phone number so can not ring and ask dad.

I am happy to provide Halal food for him to eat, (had a massive discussion with his dad when he came to tea and helpful mumsnetters pointed me in the right direction) but I do not know if he can eat or not?

Also if he is fasting and I see him about to stuff his face with cake what should I do?
Help please

you Wed 26-Aug-09 20:09:31

At 9 years old, he will not have to fast (you only need to do so once you've hit puberty) however some children of this age will attempt to do so, or do a 'half fast' for some of the day.

I wouldn't worry too much, he will be able to tell you himself if he's fasting. Just make sure you have either halal or non-meat options available for him in case he isn't. smile

littleducks Thu 27-Aug-09 18:24:04

He may be fasting (most 9 yr olds i know are as its school holidays but alot less do so when they are attending school in the day) but should be able to tell you if he is or not

Maybe just make sure its veggie cake (even if he is fasting a slice to take home for iftar would go down well) and have some other veggie items

If he tells you he is fasting you could offer him something else to do when the other kids are eating (tv/playstation whatever your boys like i suppose) but it isnt your responsibility

Overmydeadbody Thu 27-Aug-09 18:26:56

At 9 he won't be fasting, especially if he knows he's got a party to go to.

If he doesn't want to eat though, he will soon tell you himself! He's 9 right? Old enough to speak up for himself.

Overmydeadbody Thu 27-Aug-09 18:27:43

veggie cake? Isn't almost all birthday cake veggie?

littleducks Thu 27-Aug-09 18:36:40

No, alot with icing now that everything which is 'all natural colours' contain cochineal which is a red food dye derived from beetles, there are also several E numbers that are colours/flavourings which arent suitable for vegetarians

And thats without the whole gelatin thing which can be in anything, even stuff you would never suspect recently

Overmydeadbody Thu 27-Aug-09 19:55:49

ah well, I'm sure a little cochineal won't hurt a muslim, it's not like they are veggies or anything.

Beetles are exempt from the whole halal slaughtering thing anyway, aren't they? Like shelfish and other water creatures?

littleducks Thu 27-Aug-09 20:28:50

It would be haram and from the op i think that from the op Kim is trying to serve food that isnt forbidden for the guest to eat

I was mentioning it as it could be upsetting/embarasssing to realise when serving the cake that the boy couldnt eat it and there was no alternative, as non muslims would see bacon butties as an obv no-no but might not realise to check a cake packet carefully

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now