Talk

Advanced search

sunrise and fajr

(25 Posts)
TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 25-Aug-09 15:40:21

Been wondering this for a while. Why are fajr prayers generally over an hour before sunrise?

fuzzywuzzy Tue 25-Aug-09 16:09:24

Because Fajr is the dawn prayer.

saadia Tue 25-Aug-09 16:14:42

I've been trying to find out about fajr times as well as all the different timetables vary a fair bit, and have discovered that the calculation is based on the angle of the sun - or something like that.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 25-Aug-09 16:16:36

but dawn is at 6.14 am today so why is fajr at 4.45am?
Thats what confuses me.
(and some timetables have fajr at 3.55am for today)

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 25-Aug-09 16:17:27

sunrise that is, not dawn. If fajr has to be finished by sunrise then can the prayer be from any time from dawn ( 4 ish) up to 6 ish?

fuzzywuzzy Tue 25-Aug-09 16:18:45

I think (and I'm not expert ). Fajr begins at first light (I'm going by how long Sehri lasts), so when the sky starts streaking pink sehri ends and Fajr begins.

Sunrise is when the entire sun is clear of the horizon.

I think!

fuzzywuzzy Tue 25-Aug-09 16:20:59

The adhan does go around 3:55 around here and then Fajr begins at 4:12 am, but the imam at this place seems to pray Fajr at the very end time.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 25-Aug-09 16:22:53

does seem to differ doesn't it. I cant set an alarm for fajr because I sleep with dd and any sleep disturbance leads to a seizure for her so I pray fajr when I wake. Pretty often its pre-dawn anyway but its not always 4am. Sometimes its 5.30 or closer to 6. I'm assuming because the sun hasn't yet risen its still a valid time?

fuzzywuzzy Tue 25-Aug-09 16:23:24

Fajr ends before sunrise. So we begin at first twilight and ends before sunrise.... Am I making any sense???

fuzzywuzzy Tue 25-Aug-09 16:26:28

6 is Fajr time in winter, Fajr timing lasts till about 5:30 (ask your local mosque in your area?), thereafter you pray the shortened version after sunrise if you've missed it.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 25-Aug-09 16:30:07

6 am is before sunrise which is at 6.14. Thi is where I get confused (which doesn't take much)

and while I'm here - dates. I couldn't get medjool dates but deglet nour which are okish (the shops only seem to sell dates at Xmas here). Give me some tasty iftar date recipes that will make me less embreassed if friends come over for iftar and they are wondrous cooks and I'm not grin

fuzzywuzzy Tue 25-Aug-09 16:36:55

Really, sunrise is down as 6 here!!!! So I'd assume thereafter we pray the shortened version of Fajr!

But it does vary depending on where one is!

The only date recipe I have is for a milky drink, and it requires dry dates, my mum loves fresh dates which I cannot personally stand, they go swish in your mouth!!!

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 25-Aug-09 16:49:25

Bristol is 12 mins or so behind London.

gorionine Tue 25-Aug-09 17:06:25

To be sure you could try Islamic Finder (software to download).

I do not know any recipe with dates, I just eat them with a glass of milk. The Deglet Nour are yummy (not the ones with some syrupy stuff on it from supermarket, the ones from Pakistani/Eastern shops in a cardboerd box)

Fuuzzywuzzy are you in the UK?

Belated Ramadan Mubarak!

PussinJimmyChoos Tue 25-Aug-09 17:13:00

Riven - International Food supermarket on Fishponds road do lovely dates - Iranian ones from Tehran - perfect with milk for Iftar.

Haven't fasted yet as the 'wrong week' for me iyswim but will start this weekend, Insha'Allah

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 25-Aug-09 17:23:21

I will nip down there tomorrow. I cant fast as you know cos of my medical issues but I do my best.

fuzzywuzzy Tue 25-Aug-09 20:49:56

I'm in East London. We have dates galore here!!!!

gorionine Tue 25-Aug-09 21:55:39

I thought there was no place where mosques could actually call for prayer in England, lucky you!

When we go to Algeria to visit DH's family they live next door to the mosque, it is great to hear adhan "for real"!

Dates galore in the North West as well!

PussinJimmyChoos Tue 25-Aug-09 22:02:33

Gor - you can buy Athan clocks from Islamic online stores - we have one and its so nice to hear the call for prayer

gorionine Tue 25-Aug-09 22:32:58

Yes, I used to have a green one, shaped like mosque but the real thing is very impressive. I must have lost that clock in one of my many moves, I might get another one.smile

On the site I linked before you can have adhan through your computer's amplifiers, ideal when you are a MN adict!

fuzzywuzzy Tue 25-Aug-09 22:48:12

Nooooo, I have an adhan monitor, it's linked to the local mosque, so I get the adhan in my living room five times a day, also get to hear the sermons they do especially for ramadan...and the non muslims neighbours peace is not disturbed!

gorionine Wed 26-Aug-09 00:26:39

Oh I get it nowsmile!

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 26-Aug-09 09:05:31

what a great idea fuzzy. The mosques here aren't particuarly women friendly and are definately not wheelchair accessible (sisters area upstairs with no lift. sigh)
I did have the adhan software on this computer but it made it crash.
I have been reading about fasting because I was going to give it a go and see if it affected my illness but found a passage on Islamonline that said it would be haram to fast if I knew it might do me harm because of my medical condition.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 26-Aug-09 09:07:14

but different sites have different opinions on migraine/MS and reflux.
Any advice?

fuzzywuzzy Wed 26-Aug-09 13:49:10

Riven, if fasting is going to make you ill you are exempt, speak to your GP maybe see what she/he has to say about the effect it will have on your helath over all.

Also keep in mind, this years fasts are marathon ones....and they'll be longer next year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now