Talk

Advanced search

Ramadan 2009!

(29 Posts)
you Tue 18-Aug-09 20:16:01

Just a few days away now inshaallah!

Am looking forward to it this year as I missed it last year due to being pregnant with 21 wk DD. Any special plans?

GothAnneGeddes Thu 20-Aug-09 01:26:53

Salaam Alaikum,

No plans, just hope to read, reflect and make dhikr.

difficultdecision Thu 20-Aug-09 15:06:24

Assalamu alaikum

I'm kind of resigned to not fasting this year sad blush

I managed all but 6 days with DS but last year while BF I only managed to complete about half the days. When I stopped and tried to make them up I fainted on even the short days so still have quite a few to make up.

This year with 16 hour fasts and 17weeks pregnant I'm too early in the second trimester to be sure either of us are safe (done all the research) and as this baby seems to be another small one already I've come to the conclusion that it is not healthy for us this year.

I do feel bad about it though.

MrsSnow Thu 20-Aug-09 19:06:10

Salam alaikum
Yes just a few more days if that!

I won't be fasting this as pregnant with #1 but will attempt to give DH some form of moral support!

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 20-Aug-09 20:37:52

Difficult - don't feel bad about it. Just ensure that you either make the fasts up another time or, if you are not sure whether you can make the fasts up before next Ramadan, then you can pay to feed a starving person for each day of the fast that you miss. Its perfectly acceptable to do this. If you can't afford to do that, then seek advice from local mosque about what you can offer and to whom instead - Allah is most merciful.

I have a book about Ramadan and it said not to make it hard for ourselves as Allah (SWT) loves us and wants what is easy for us and he knows that your intention would be to fast if you could.

littleducks Fri 21-Aug-09 22:00:45

Asalamalaykum to you all!

We are starting fasting on Sunday, so am just finishing off preparations, went food shopping today

I have never fasted such long days so am nervous and excited, have missed several years due to two pgs and bfing babies

DD is looking forward to Eid!

Deeeja Fri 21-Aug-09 23:29:05

Ramadan mubarak!
First day of fasting is tomorrow. LOL ds 's looking forward to eid, and already planning what they want. grin
I am not fasting either, but have been tempted, since am 35 weeks anyway, but have decided that since lo's brain still maturing, etc., not a good idea.
Just hope I don't go into labour on the day of eid.

littleducks Mon 24-Aug-09 04:25:47

THread seems quiet this year?

well when you do all come along, i wondered if we could discuss the special things you eat? I have been making an effort to eat more dates this year, and been having them in the morning as well as when breaking the fast. what do you all eat to keep your energy up through the day?

And what activities do you do with the children? So far we have made a Ramadhan calendar (a paper chain with 30 rings, one to be removed for each day that passes) and intend inshallah to make paper moons to explain the whole 'crescent' thing.

Hope that fasting is going well for you all

saadia Mon 24-Aug-09 17:39:26

Salaam Alaikum to all of you, so far the fasting seems to be manageable. It does help that the schools are still on holiday.

To everyone who is not fasting due to being pg, I missed three years of fasts as first I was pg with ds1, then bfing him, then pg with ds2. Allah has made things easy for us.

littleducks I have been making fruit salad - or fruit chaat - every day, just to try and keep the five a day thing going. I also try and stick to just eating normal meals at iftar but sometimes crave things like fried potato cakes and pakoras. In the morning I have cereal, toast and tea and as much water as I can take. I find it hard to eat anything else, but I suppose it's a question of habit.

When I told the dss about Ramadan and fasting, ds2's main concern was whether I would still be able to cook for them. At the moment we just discuss the whole issue of fasting and why we do it. I have also started teaching them a bit of Arabic, but only very casually.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 25-Aug-09 15:28:15

I thought pregnant and breastfeeding women weren't meant to fast?
I cant fast because of medical conditions so donate to feed people instead. But I cut out all 'naughty' food and no snacking between meals. Cant really go to any iftars either as its so late this year. dd needs to be put to bed at 9pm and I need to be with her

difficultdecision Tue 25-Aug-09 20:10:25

Can you really pay to feed a poor person if you cannot make them up? I'm going to have so many to make up but all the rulings i can find so far say like Riven, that you are only exempt from making up (and can pay instead) if you are unlikely to recover to be able to fast again due to long standing medical conditions.

Th hanafi school doesn't suggest a fine for fasts not made up before the next ramadan but all say that if a time comes that you are able to fast again those fasts remain obligatory to make up. Would be interested to hear of other sources as I struggle to think that Allah would make it that hard on us.

Riven, I looked into it quite a bit when pregnant with DS and the consensus is,

1) if you are worried about your child alone you should pay to feed a poor person AND make up the fast when you are able

2) if you are also worried for your health and are advised by a muslim doctor not to fast then you still have to make up the fasts missed when pregnant or breastfeeding but there is no 'fine'.

I fasted with DS as I felt I was able to but am not this time as I have not been as well. (and am a muslim doctor so have the knowledge to know what is and isn't safe in pregnancy).

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 26-Aug-09 09:18:24

The sites I have read said if its a temporary thing like pregnancy or bf or flu then you make up the fast later. If its a permanant health condition that means you cannot fast (lots fall into this. Anything you have to take daytime medicine for or anything where fasting may do you harm) then you pay to feed a hungry person. In this country its calculated at £2 a day
'n his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto,Ontario, Canada, states the following:
If you have been advised by your doctor not to fast, then you should not fast, but you ought to give a fidyah (compensation) by parting with the equivalent of the cost of a meal to the poor for each day of fast you have missed—if your sickness is permanent and there is no hope for recovery. If, however, your condition is temporary and you have reasonable expectation to recover from your sickness, then you need not offer fidyah (compensation); rather you only need to make up for the days you have missed later on when you are in a condition to do so. Allah says: ( Whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days) (Al-Baqarah 2:185).
If, on the other hand, you do not hope to recover from your sickness, then you should offer fidyah if you can afford to. But if you cannot afford to pay because of lack of means, then you are excused.
Having said this, I must still point out that, if your financial situation does improve at all, then you ought to pay the debt you have incurred. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Allah's debt merits greater priority in terms of repayment" (Al-Bukhari).
Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islam.ca.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 26-Aug-09 09:21:32

I still want to fast though but want it to be valid as I read that if you fast when you shouldn't - you are sick and it could be made worse, this was actually haram.
But I cant find an agreement on my ilnesses. Some say if you can manage it with medication (at night) then you may fast, others say you musnt fast.
My 'time of the month' ends on saturday and I'd really like to fast but am very unsure what to do. Hence all the reading!

difficultdecision Wed 26-Aug-09 13:46:05

Yeah thats the same as I've always found. As much as I dread havign to make them all up afterwards it is difficult not fasting in ramadan - it feels weird and I'm grateful to Allah that inshallah I'll be able to fast again once day.

Do you think you would be able to fast? If you feel able to and it wouldn't interfere with medications schedules then you might be able to give it a go. Allah will soon let you know if you should stop if you are extra careful to listen to your body. Obviously I don't know what your illnesses are so you would need to have a chat with your doctor but together with my patients we've been able to change most people's medication or schedules to at least let them fast for a few days if they feel able and want to.

Hope you find the answer somewhere - please share it with us when you do

Don't know if this would be helpful for anyone but Health in ramadan Guide I was sent this by another muslim doctor.

Deeeja Wed 26-Aug-09 15:11:47

My situation is not quite the same as yours Riven, in that I am pregnant rather then have an illness. But I do feel tempted, I have only a few weeks to go till the birth, and am almost at full term, at 36 weeks. But I know it is better for the baby and for me if I don't . I am also still breastfeeding my almost 3 year old.
I hope I manage it next year inshallah.

you Wed 26-Aug-09 15:17:26

That's a great leaflet, thanks smile.

Alhamdulillah, fasting has not been too bad so far for me this year, though I think I underestimated how much energy it would use looking after a baby at the same time grin. Samaya gave up her dummy for Ramadan wink on Sat, Allah has made it easy for us.

Food wise, I have been cooking normal dinners in the evenings, unfortuanately I don't have time to prepare the feasts from previous years! In the morning I try to eat porridge with fruit and dates, but some days I can only manage a banana at that time. Drinking water has been hardest for me, I find it difficult to drink all I need in those short hours and got quite bad headaches over the weekend which alhamdulillah seem to have gone.

Riven, is there an imam you can consult regarding your fast? Inshaallah you will be able to find an answer either way, it must be very hard to want to fast but not be sure if is is halal or not.

And completely off-topic... does anyone else often find it hard to reply to threads on here without peppering inshallah into their posts?! grin

you Wed 26-Aug-09 15:20:52

Deeeja, may Allah bless you and your family, he knows how badly you want to fast.

And may I say I'm very impressed; my last few months of pregnancy were spent in a chocolate induced stupor on the coach watch multiple episodes of Come Dine With Me grin.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 26-Aug-09 15:32:12

'And completely off-topic... does anyone else often find it hard to reply to threads on here without peppering inshallah into their posts?'

heh, yes.
I asked 2 imams. One said that I should fast and see what happenend and the other said migraines and MS were 2 of the conditions that meant you were 'sick' and should pay fidyah instead and not fast. Websites are the same. Total differences of opinion.
Sigh
I think I am going to fast as soon as this time of the month is done but really wanted to make sure it was valid and not halal.
What I am doing this week is only eating and drinking at mealtimes so no more picking and snacking and junk. Even that has made me feel hunger and know what its like for the hungry in the world. And its probably healthy for me!

lol at chocolate induced stupour grin

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 26-Aug-09 15:33:24

that should, of course, read 'haram'.
I should put my brain back in grin

leenasmom Wed 26-Aug-09 15:44:11

saLaam sisters..
a bit of a lurker here and stumbled here...
ramadan mubarak to all... Was wondering if you have any l.o attempting to fast this year. my dc 6 and 7 y.o clain they are having half a fast...(eg they kerb on the snacking between meals and have set meals before I offer prayer...my ds comes and asks if I have offered prayer and if not can he have a snack before its time. Would prefer them at school at least can get some reading done.

Deeeja Wed 26-Aug-09 16:53:05

My 6 year old has wanted to fast this year. He has tried so hard aswell mashallah! He has actually managed it twice, but did drink water, which I told him it was fine, and Allah was giving him water because he needs it and Allah is merciful. Once, I told him to break his fast because he was coughing and I was worried. He ended it when I explained that Allah does not want to cause him hardship. Mashallah, he is so determined, and so calm when he is fasting even though he has asd. I am so proud of him, teary smile. I can't believe he will be 7 soon.
He loves the fact that he gets to ear iftar, and wake up for sehri. He loves Ramadhan. I think it is great that Ramadhan will be partly in school hols, I love involving the kids.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 26-Aug-09 17:04:33

I am struggling right now with antacids. I have to take rennie every couple of hours because of terrible acid. Not eating and especially not drinking is making it worse sad
(and its not even a full fast today. I had a lat breakfast)

difficultdecision Wed 26-Aug-09 17:23:04

You've probably tried this but is worth talking to your doctor about a longer lasting acid suppressent medication that rennies? ranitidine or omeprazole would be top of my list.

mashallah at your DS Deeja!

TheDMshouldbeRivened Wed 26-Aug-09 17:25:01

I'm in omeprazole and ranitidine at the moment. Sadly they don't work. Waiting for a camera in the tummy thing.
awww at your ds waking up for suhoor grin
What do you do for suhoor/sehri?

difficultdecision Wed 26-Aug-09 17:39:01

ah! hence the rennies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now