Talk

Advanced search

Explaining christening to a 3 year old

(8 Posts)
Concordia Wed 15-Jul-09 22:50:10

Hi. For various reasons we haven't christened our 3 year old DS (he was dedicated) but due to a change of church we have decided to go for it along side DD (who will be nearly a year old! - we don't get round to things quickly....)
Wanted to know - has anyone Christened their children at these ages? How did they explain it to the 3 year old? And, more down to earthly - what did they wear? (it's a very informal church so christening gowns may look at bit weird)
Thanks in anticipation

Prosecco Wed 15-Jul-09 22:56:14

I know a couple of children who were christened at this age and older. My own ds was almost 2 _ I think parish priest was despairing- can't remember much but we didn't really have to go into too much detail. He wore smart trousers and shirt.
Nothing fancy at all.

I would say it is a way of welcoming him into his new church alongside his sister.

Sounds lovely- enjoy.

scienceteacher Wed 15-Jul-09 23:11:41

We have baptised DCs at age 6, 4 and as a baby.

I don't think it needs an explanation. It is the parents who are making the promises.

For clothes, I bought new but practical clothes for them (chinos and polo shirts).

scienceteacher Wed 15-Jul-09 23:12:58

BTW, if I were having a baby baptised, I would get the three-year old done at the same time.

Notquitegrownup Wed 15-Jul-09 23:22:25

Both of mine were 2.5 - 3 when christened. Like you, we just don't get around to things quickly!

We went along the line of it being a special way of welcoming them into the church. We tried to prepare them for the water, and it being like the vicar washing your face, pouring a tiny bit of water onto you - it won't hurt at all etc. Our vicar was most helpful in letting them choose some of the hymns. We talked about the fact that they would get a special candle - they both loved going up to the front for that. They also enjoyed seeing all of their favourite people there and for the party afterwards. And they also just wore smart trousers and shirts.

Hope it goes really well for you.

scienceteacher Thu 16-Jul-09 08:27:11

Another thought is that a 3 year old must have seen loads of baptisms already, and will be eager to follow the tradition himself.

Concordia Thu 16-Jul-09 21:50:20

Thanks for the tips it has helped me think it through. Welcoming them into the church is a good way to put it. DS hates being washed but I guess i need to tell him it won't hurt.

Notquitegrownup Fri 17-Jul-09 09:36:12

lol - DS2 hated washing too, and we used to practise washing his hair in the bath, scooping water onto his head and reminding him that his christening would be a bit like this, but with clothes on and a party afterwards!

Your vicar may well be prepared to do a walk through with your ds so that he knows where he will stand. Is it full immersion baptism, or a font. Presumably, if the latter, the vicar will get him to stand on a stool by the font and look in. (You can practise and warn him not to touch the plug etc!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now