Talk

Advanced search

Heard something very thought-provoking on Songs of Praise last night...

(4 Posts)
Alambil Mon 29-Jun-09 10:34:57

I know, I know... I'm turning into my father...

anyway, it was Eamon Holmes in Belfast and he was talking to this bloke about all the conflict who said:

"There are many Catholics in Ireland. There are many Protestants in Ireland. There are not many Christians in Ireland"

and it really made me think....

It's rather deep, I guess.

Anyway, not sure what the point of this post is, but I just thought I'd share

AMumInScotland Mon 29-Jun-09 10:42:53

Yes, it's intersting isn't it? I guess it's about the difference between genuinely being a Christian, and identifying yourself as part of a "tribe" on the supposed basis of your religion. And it's the tribalism which leads to wars, not the actual religion that it's meant to be based on.

That's why I get angry when people come out with stuff about how religion is responsible for so many wars - it isn't, it's just a label for their tribes. Religion doesn't cause the war any more than football causes violence. It's just an excuse for "us and them" thinking.

cat64 Mon 29-Jun-09 11:02:09

Message withdrawn

GrapefruitMoon Mon 29-Jun-09 11:16:25

Well I would disagree that there are not many Christians in Ireland but I would agree that those involved in "The Troubles" (which was a very small minority contrary to what the media might lead you to believe) were not acting in a Christian way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now