Talk

Advanced search

How do you know when God is speaking to you?

(12 Posts)
KTNoo Fri 26-Jun-09 22:04:00

I would like to ask for advice from Christians out there. I am a Christian, living in a Muslim country. Because of the driving situation, I employ a driver, a lovely man, who is an extremely strict muslim. I have come to know this man very well, and care deeply about him and his family.

Today his wife went into hospital. She has been ill for some time, she has high blood pressure and diabetes. Basically she got terrible care, waited most of the day to see a doctor and then they fobbed her off and she went home with some pills. They didn't even test her sugar levels.

I have prayed a lot about this family. Today I could not stop thinking about how I could help them, I could pay for her to have private treatment and make a difference to what should be treatable conditions. I gave my driver money today but he didn't use it. There is a private clinic which I know is very good but he didn't go there. My dh says I am being naive and it is not as simple as giving money but I cannot get the thought out of my head that I SHOULD help these people.

I would love to hear from those of you who have been in a similar situation.

KTNoo Sat 27-Jun-09 09:19:07

Think I should clarify as just re-read post and it sounds waffley.

I feel strongly I should help this family but it would be a big committment, particularly financially, and my dh (who earns the money) is not as keen as me. He feels our driver is an employee and you can only take generosity so far. Also driver is a very proud man and doesn't want to accept help i think, but I feel something awful could happen to his wife if she doesn't get help soon, but obviously I cannot force him. dh also feels I have to work within the culture rather than just throw money at the situation, because there are millions in the same situation.

However I feel God is teling me to help this family, but I don't want to cause tension between me and dh.

DutchOma Sat 27-Jun-09 09:46:31

I would like to speak to you off board, but you have chosen not to receive messages from other users. Maybe you could go into your profile page and, in email options tick the yes box for receiving messages from other mumsnetters?

KTNoo Sat 27-Jun-09 11:53:32

Thanks. The problem with emails is that dh and I share an account. It's not that I want to keep anything from him exactly, but you see why it's sensitive.

KTNoo Sat 27-Jun-09 20:43:46

Sorry am a bit clueless - did you mean you can send messages just within MN or would it be to my regular email address?

DutchOma Sat 27-Jun-09 21:26:28

There is a facility on MN whereby you can send aother MNter your e.mail address.(CAT) You have said on your profile that you do not want to receive messages from other MNters. So you need to go into your profile, find email options and then there is an option to receive messages from other MNters. Yes or no. If you tick yes I can then send you my email address, if you answer that I can email you, off board.
Remains the thing that your dh will see it if you share an address, but maybe you can set up an account for yourself that he doesn't see. I'm not intending to send anything that might upset, only people don't read very carefully sometimes on MN and I do not want to be misunderstood.

KTNoo Sat 27-Jun-09 21:45:17

Thank you for your reply. I will have to set up my own email account and change my reg address. It's never been an issue before but I'd like to go through this in my own head etc before talking to dh about it.

I didn't realise it could be a problem to post on the public board, sorry.

KTNoo Sat 27-Jun-09 21:48:13

Meant to say, the lady is doing better today apparently, which is good news. But she has ongoing problems which are not really being addressed imo.

I have bought them some packs of brown rice in the meantime! She is supposed to follow a special diet but doesn't - not sure how much due to cost and how much to lack of awareness/influence.

Notquitegrownup Sat 27-Jun-09 23:03:21

KTNoo - praying for you and your dh.

How do we know when God is speaking to us? My feeling is that scripture will back you up. That does not mean that you will always find a verse which says exactly what you want to hear, but as you pray and read, you may well find yourself drawn to certain stories, certain passages which show you that you are acting within God's will.

It's also important to do as you have done and talk with other Christians, if possible. Can I link you to the Christian prayer thread [http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/philosophyreligionspirituality/775516-Prayer-thread-for-summer-2009-M y-grace-is-sufficient link here]] ? There may be others who can bring a fresh insight to your situation and we will certainly be happy to pray for you.

In the meantime, as your dh earns the money, I would be inclined to pray that God moves him to agree with you. You could keep asking him to help you to help your driver’s wife, but pray in the meantime, that God will open his eyes to hear what you are saying. That way, you are able to witness to him too, that God loves each of us and can use each of us too, and to strengthen the bond between you. Not sure what the implication is for you, if he doesn’t agree, but then if you pray in faith that he will come to agree with you, that might not be an issue.

Not sure if I have answered your question as clearly as you would hope, but hope that gives you food for thought.

Notquitegrownup Sat 27-Jun-09 23:04:47

Oops! y-grace-is-sufficient link to Christian prayer thread here

KTNoo Sun 28-Jun-09 09:17:19

Thankyou for your prayers Notquitegrownup. Love the name by the way!

I will look at the prayer thread.

dh is working away until August which is possibly why I'm feeling like I have to make decisions without him but taking his opinion into account iyswim. You are of course right that I simply need to continue to pray in the meantime.

I am very grateful for the MN support on here as I don't know any other Christians apart from dh where we live.

Not sure this is too coherent either but I have a persistent little dd hanging off me demanding crackers at the moment, so better go and deal with that!

Notquitegrownup Sun 28-Jun-09 13:41:58

Thank you KTNoo. I like my name too blush smile

Do join us on the prayer thread. It's lovely to know that we can share fellowship with you via the internet. Good ol' MN

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now