Talk

Advanced search

Could someone please answer this odd question for me about Mormons and underwear?

(18 Posts)
MadreInglese Thu 25-Jun-09 14:27:47

My mum was woffling last night about someone she works with who is a Mormon and she was trying to convince me that as part of their religion there is some rule about underwear, she thinks her colleague has to wear a vest under her bra, or lots of layers under their clothes, or something like that, she couldn't quite remember it properly.

I've never heard anything like that, but I don't really know much about Mormons, can anyone shed any light on this please? My mother is well known for her barmy witterings so I'm inclined to think she's talking tripe but thought I'd check with the oracle mumsnet smile

(didn't really want to google as I'm not sure what sites I'd come across googling mormon underwear!)

themildmanneredjanitor Thu 25-Jun-09 14:31:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadreInglese Thu 25-Jun-09 14:35:45

blimey!

I will have to tell her she's right

So they wear odd underwear to remind them to think about god? I don't get it

BunnyLebowski Thu 25-Jun-09 14:39:27

What's to get?

It's just one of the millions of stupid/pointless/inane things people do because their religion tells them to.

Pretty funny though! They're a weird bunch those mor(m)ons!

MadreInglese Thu 25-Jun-09 14:40:43

Well there's usually some logic or reason behind the rules and ceremonies, I just don't understand this one

BunnyLebowski Thu 25-Jun-09 14:44:00

Just found this

"Mormons put on this "special underwear", aka: the holy garments, as an outward sign of a commitment to God. The garment is white and represents purity, and by wearing it the person commits to Jesus Christ that he/she will follow whatever the Lord commands of them, just as people did in the Old Testament (the Jews).

These garments serve not only as a reminder, but as a protection from God. Not necessarily from physical harm, but spiritual harm as well. Some people have reported that their garments have protected them from physical harm.

Regardless, this is the purpose of the garment, and these holy garments are worn in conjunction with the restoration the Lord's true church here on the Earth as a commandment from the Lord."

Not sure logic applies.

themildmanneredjanitor Thu 25-Jun-09 14:48:44

BunnyLebowski Thu 25-Jun-09 14:49:54

Lol mmj! Praise god with your arse coverage.

themildmanneredjanitor Thu 25-Jun-09 14:51:20

MadreInglese Thu 25-Jun-09 14:54:40

lol, thou shalt wear big pants

how can it be an outward sign if it's underwear and no-one sees it? hmm

is it like wearing a crucifix necklace?

I am bemused

MadreInglese Thu 25-Jun-09 14:55:22

and what about in the middle of summer

or at the swimming pool

or on the beach...........?

Jacksmama Thu 25-Jun-09 15:11:11

What I think is very odd is that "garmies" (as they're called by some younger Mormons) are meant to go under your bra hmm. How are you expected to breastfeed or even have a properly fitted bra?
I had some Mormon friends in college who were actually really fun (a lot of them are very serious) so we could talk about this... my girl friend didn't know the answer though...

MadreInglese Thu 25-Jun-09 15:43:23

my mum said she thought they went under bras but I was very dubious

how odd

onagar Thu 25-Jun-09 18:21:20

I think god must have been a fashion designer in a previous life as he is always on about hats, hairstyles and now underwear. It seems a strange preoccupation.

BunnyLebowski Thu 25-Jun-09 19:45:56

See also

these beauties

He should go on Project Runway!

EccentricaGallumbits Thu 25-Jun-09 19:48:57

is it very wrong to wear a thong to church then?

nickytwotimes Thu 25-Jun-09 19:51:50

My fellow Sunday school teacher wears thongs. shock

We are Catholic though, so universally known for wantonness. wink grin

Jacksmama Thu 25-Jun-09 22:00:25

Those Catholics. We know all about them!!! grin
<says the former Catholic choir girl>
<very former>

So, I just messengered with my Mormon friend. She says that not all Mormons wear garmies. She doesn't, and they go to temple and everything. It's apparently more of a thing with the very devout ones (like the bishops in their church) and older people, but also, among some of the younger Mormons who take themselves very seriously (her words, not mine, I hasten to add!!). So there is a good chunk of the Mormon population who drink coffee or alcohol and don't wear garmies but who are still Mormons.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: