Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend any good house group study notes/dvds/books?

(8 Posts)
Jackstini Wed 10-Jun-09 09:40:07

Small-ish group - usually between 5-8 of us, who worship in the Methodist Church.
Open to any ideas! smile

Jackstini Wed 10-Jun-09 17:27:51

Bump for evening...

scrappydappydoo Wed 10-Jun-09 18:11:48

I know one of our cell groups used the Jeff Lucas ones - Life journeys - said they were quite good.
If you are fairly young group and up for some challenge the Nooma DVDs are good - but not for everyone.
I'd go for a wander around your christian bookshop to see whats out there and what would best suit your group.
hth

MaryBS Wed 10-Jun-09 20:53:02

We've used Emmaus and found them very good. Now we're going "hard core" and using a very intense bible study course... whose name I can't remember... blush I'll be back....

Jackstini Wed 10-Jun-09 20:57:52

Thanks - will look those up smile

MadHairDay Thu 11-Jun-09 14:29:31

Agree with scrappy about the Nooma DVDs by Rob Bell, they are excellent and with a really edgy, different perspective.
There is a DVD course called The Road to Maturity by Mary Pytches, basically looking at who we are in Christ and how stuff in our childhood affects how we think etc. It's good but it wouldn't work with some groups - it's rather educated middle class type thing, not great for younger groups probably. But some good stuff in there.
There's the J John Just Ten course, all on DVD I think - that's really good.

tassisssss Thu 11-Jun-09 14:32:38

Have you done the Purpose driven life in your church?

I liked Ortberg's If you want to walk on water you've got to get out of the boat series (book and DVD/study guide

There's also DVD/study material for Yancey's What's so amazing about Grace

MaryBS Thu 11-Jun-09 15:17:59

I found Yancey's book on Grace pretty dire though blush.

Found out what we're using, its by ICES (Interactive Christian Extension Studies), and we're currently studying the Historical Books of the OT.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now