Talk

Advanced search

Baptism

(6 Posts)
Alized Wed 03-Jun-09 18:05:57

Hi Im 38 and going to be baptised. Only I have no idea what to say.

Can anyone help. PLEASE xxxxxxxxxx

scrappydappydoo Wed 03-Jun-09 18:15:39

Ok - I'm presuming you have to give some form of testimony about your faith? How long do you have? I would keep it fairly simple in terms of how you became a christian, the differences in your life now and why you have decided to make this step. Have you a sponsor or someone in you church who could help you have a better idea of whats expected? If you don't try and get alongside someone who can support and pray for you. You'll be fine, God wil give you the right words to say

scienceteacher Wed 03-Jun-09 18:16:29

Congratulations in deciding to make a public declaration of your faith in the risen Lord.

What I would suggest is to just start writing out a description of your Christian journey so far, in as much detail as you can remember. After that you can edit it down to something that will take a few minutes to read.

Adult testimonies are wonderful!

donnymouse Thu 04-Jun-09 15:59:41

Praise God.

Just remeber to give God ALL the glory.

For we do not choose him, he chooses us first.

procrastinatingparent Fri 05-Jun-09 20:38:00

My DH (a church minister) goes through what people want to say at their baptisms with them beforehand. He helps them express what has happened to them and why they want to be baptised if they are struggling to put it into words. Sometimes they write out what they want to say and read it out or often they plan out questions for him to ask them so it is a bit more like an interview.

I would talk to the person who is baptising you, or some other wise Christian whom you respect and ask for their help. Occasionally I get to listen to people's journeys to faith in preparation for interviewing them in public and I love hearing them - one of my favourite things that I do.

The great thing is that you have a very sympathetic listening audience who are very keen to hear why you've chosen to take this step.

cornflakegirl Fri 05-Jun-09 21:52:03

My church sometimes does an interview style testimony, like pp mentioned. Maybe your minister could suggest questions for you to answer that would help you structure your thoughts? Eg "How did you became a christian?", "What is God doing in your life right now?", "Why do you want to be baptised?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now