Talk

Advanced search

And this is the LAST Reluctant Worshippers, so do drop by and have a mouldy biscuit (and talk about why ONLINE FRIENDSHIPS are real, well sort of),

(24 Posts)
justaboutspringtime Sun 24-May-09 09:07:14

Message withdrawn

justaboutspringtime Sun 24-May-09 09:08:26

Message withdrawn

Hassled Sun 24-May-09 09:12:57

Oh I'm sorry - I often read the threads, and they gave me a lot to think about; they were fascinating. Thank you!

But it sounds like your hands will be well and truly full. Jaw-droppingly full. My last pregnancy was by far the worse - you'd think your body would get used to it all, but the reverse seems to happen. Hope it all improves soon.

justaboutspringtime Sun 24-May-09 09:21:18

Message withdrawn

Nettee Sun 24-May-09 09:29:59

Congratulations Justa - wonderful news about your pregnancy. Sorry you are feeling so ill, hope it passes soon.

Great reflection - thank you - my dc don't have their lovely aunty as she died in 2000 but my friends are fab surrogate aunties - not the same but lovely anyway and appreciated.

I will miss reluctant worshippers but don't know how you are going to fit in all that you do already let alone that so totally understand.

rubyslippers Sun 24-May-09 09:42:10

oh justa - many congratulations on your pregnancy and i hope you feel less sicky soon

if it is any consolation sickness can be a good sign - all the hormones are raging (well everyone told me this as i had my head down the loo permanently for the first few weeks of this pregnancy!)

i was very touched when i was asked to write a reflection and have very much enjoyed reading and occasionally contributing to the threads

i have really enjoyed this last reflection and wish you all the best

BetsyBoop Sun 24-May-09 10:16:17

Congrats on your pregnancy Justa

I had bad morning (all-day...) sickness until 20wks with both pregnancies, so you have my heartfelt sympathy, I hope this stage passes for you soon {{hugs}}

It's bloody hard work being pregnant and having preschoolers to look after (one was bad enough for me, can't begin to imagine how hard 2 is...) never mind having a PhD etc on top.

A lovely reflection, we could do with finding a "Barbara" for our kids as they only have one set of grandparents (my parents are both dead)

justaboutspringtime Sun 24-May-09 14:36:46

Message withdrawn

KayHarkerDoesNotSimper Sun 24-May-09 17:42:21

You know what, one of the things that having a faith has taught me is that 'family' is nothing to do with sharing a related gene-pool.

Even when you're let down on one side, there will always be someone, somewhere who will hold your arms up. I've experienced it through church friends, friends who are other sorts of Christians, atheists, Muslims, people who you would think wouldn't have anything at all in common with me.

MN has been part of that for me, and threads like this, with lovely people like Justa, have been 'family'.

Not 'substitutes'. Real, inter-connected, loving family. I can say quite confidently that a flesh and blood mother and father aren't necessarily much better than a chocolate fireguard. In all honesty, people who can say 'You know what, you're a human being, and I'm going to recognize that, and put myself out for you' are as much family to me as my parents.

Like Jesus said 'Who are my mother and my brothers?' Anyone who does God's will and turns and reaches outside themselves. Thanks Justa, and everyone who has contributed to Reluctant Worshippers. It's been a jolly good example of human family, like MN in general.

justaboutspringtime Sun 24-May-09 18:10:04

Message withdrawn

amberlight Sun 24-May-09 19:00:40

Having lost all of our parents many years ago, and with dh being an only child, our 'family' is us, our ds, and my dsis who is not married/in a relationship and has no children of her own. Oh and an uncle of dh who keeps in touch but lives many miles away. But there are so many people in my life who are there for me, and have been there for us as a family. More than I can count (and I have tried). They are 'family', and very welcome they are too.

Niecie Mon 25-May-09 13:27:32

Just seen this. I haven't contributed for a long time as RL has been hectic of late and I haven't been on MN a lot. I am sad that it has to end.

However, congratulation to you Justabout. smile If it does have to end this is about as good a reason as anybody can have. Hope you feel better soon and everything goes smoothly for you.

People can't help making families can they? I was thinking about my family, a mixed bag to say the least. Some of them certainly wouldn't be chosen if you really could chose your family and not just your friends. But I am reminded of starting university, alone and knowing nobody as most people do. It didn't take long to set up a family that remained remarkably stable until we all left and went our separate ways 3 or 4 yrs later.

The family isn't about genes as some of you have said. It is about a group of people who share something and I think that it is marvellous that even if we don't have a real one, or it is lacking in some way, we can make one that suits our needs.

GentleOtter Mon 25-May-09 14:07:10

What wonderful news Justabout!

Thank you for writing this piece on family and others who look after us - it really struck a chord as I felt very isolated today but am lucky to have a whole village of foster mums who have kept an eye out for me since losing my own mum more than twenty years ago.

It is where the Love is, be it family, friends, foster grandparents or anyone who takes time to make someone feel a bit special (honestly, the ((hugs)) and lol's are reassuring even if they do go against the MN grain)

I will miss the Reluctant Worshippers but hope you have a smooth pregnancy and take time to get your feet up.

DutchOma Mon 25-May-09 14:53:47

Being a bit older and an 'Oma' I have been able to be family to a few on MN. That's been incredible valuable to me, having 'only' two children and two grandchildren. Through MN I have as many as I can knit for grin

justaboutspringtime Mon 25-May-09 17:01:05

Message withdrawn

thinkingaboutdrinking Sat 06-Jun-09 20:01:43

I've been a lurker on RWorshippers - very sorry its ending but congratulations on your pregnancy justa.
And i compeletly agree - when I was little we had "extra" grandparents as ours lived so far away - and I'm pleased that my DCs do too - my church family is sooo important to us and our DCs - they see the kids so much more than actual family, and I don't think we would cope without their support.

Donk Sat 06-Jun-09 20:06:51

Thankyou for all you have done Justa - I hope that the sickness subsides soon. I remember that stage of pregnancy as being completely exhausting. Look after yourself - and let me know if there is anything I can do.

ZipadiSoozi Sat 06-Jun-09 21:12:51

Justa - congratulations and prayers for a less sickly pregnancy.

Thank you for being part of my 'virtual family' grin I have loved reading and mulching through thoughts you have provoked in your subjects.

Will miss you! take care of yourself smile keep in touch!

Clockface Sun 07-Jun-09 05:49:45

Yes, congrats, Justa, and thank you so much for all that you've done for RW! You are a star.

RE. your relflection, personally I am so grateful to my new MIL. My MIL died a few years ago and by the time she died we were very close friends (despite the rocky start). DH's family has re-formed itself, esp. as FIL remarried just under two years after MIL's death. New MIL is nothing like MIL - complete contrasts - but she is making FIL very happy and she adores our dc and does all the traditional granny stuff like baking and making.

She and FIL live way out in the country on a farm so the dc over going there, having tractor rides, helping to feed the lambs and wandering around the fields. THey have sleepovers sometimes (sleep not exactly being the operative word!) New MIL has brought so much love and richness into our lives - esp. the dcs' - and she is every bit a real granny.

MadHairDay Tue 09-Jun-09 19:50:28

Thrilled for you justa, congratulations
Thanks for all the RW stuff - I know I haven't contributed much but I've found them so helpful.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Sun 14-Jun-09 22:46:34

Thanks from me too, Justa, for all the insights you've offered (and have encouraged others to offer) on Reluctant Worshippers. This last thread has rung so many bells for me, as I have always believed that your family is what you find or create around you.

Come and have a cup of tea whenever you have time and a calm stomach.

thumbwitch Tue 16-Jun-09 23:33:58

And congratulations and hope the sickness has subsided from me too, justa.

Your "pretend" granny story was very poignant to me too - my DS has a grandma in Australia but he has 2 pretend grandmas here, one of whom has no children of her own but who adores little ones, and the other of whom has great-grandchildren now and loves to babysit DS - they are great friends!
My DH too - he had no grandparents of his own so his mum's next door neighbour and great friend became his pretend grandma - and was wonderful for him to have. We are both good at "acquiring" new family for ourselves and hope DS will have the knack for it too.

I hope that your pg and your PhD go well and that you drop by sometimes for a cuppa!

OlympedeGouges Wed 17-Jun-09 11:29:38

Hi Justa

sorry to come so late to thread - but just wanted to wish you congratulations on the pregnancy and thanks for all the work and insight you've put into these threads. and stay around so we know what is happening please! grin

Earthymama Sat 20-Jun-09 12:49:41

So pleased for you and sending you many, many blessings.

DD and I have always loved your writing, I feel it brought another dimension to MN.

I love being a grandmother, it's one of the most important things in my life. I screwed up a bit with patrenting my children and supporting the next generation seems to be away of making it 'right'.

Also of course they are the most adorable people on earth so bring me a great deal of pleasure and pride. smile

I'll miss your reflections, Justa, and hope you'll be around to restore my belief in human nature on occasion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now