Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So this is the Lent Bible Study Group right and there is no be NO FUN OR LARKING AROUND especially YOU at the back there

(130 Posts)
justaboutindisguise Tue 24-Feb-09 22:04:55

Message withdrawn

algee Tue 24-Feb-09 22:22:13

hello, newbie here...well, not quite true, I posted a recomendation for wellies a week or two back... and I've lurked for too long... anyway... will be trying to pluck up the courage to join in with your Lenten reflections! Right, off to Matthew (after I've finished my last cheeky glass of wine before being 'ashed' in the morning!).

PandaG Tue 24-Feb-09 22:26:46

Hi justa and welcome algee - jump in with2 feetsmile. just marking my place really. will also be having a glass of something before Lent starts tomorrow.

of course we forgive you justa, and surely this is a collaborative learning from each other, so please don't feel pressured.

If you in off board contact with Kay please pass on my best - she probably won't know me, but I am always interested in her POV.

MrsMerryHenry Tue 24-Feb-09 22:26:52

Hi - I'll join. Forgive me if I don't keep up, am rather busy at the mo.

smile

MrsSeanBean Tue 24-Feb-09 22:28:50

Hi, I'll join too. <bags seat at the front so not tempted to lark too much>

ruty Tue 24-Feb-09 22:29:38

can i recommend Pasolini's The Gospel According to St Matthew as a wonderful film and very apt for this discussion?

SesHopesSpringwillbeheresoon Tue 24-Feb-09 22:32:34

Thanks justabout
Hope Kay's ok and can come back soon.

Ruty - not heard of that. I'll see if I can find it on Amazon maybe.

Right, Lent starts tomorrow so my good intentions do too. Matthew here I come...

Donk Wed 25-Feb-09 00:10:00

Ok, I may be a rather occasional attender though (stuff kicking off here), I hope that's ok!

Niecie Wed 25-Feb-09 00:14:18

Hello to you all. Just marking my place too.

Don't worry about us justabout. Just tell us what to read and we will all get something out of it I'm sure. Don't knock yourself out over it. We'll find something to talk about even if it is just biscuits.smile

BouncingTurtle Wed 25-Feb-09 06:26:21

Hello! Marking my place.

Promise to be very solemn and not lark around smile

JollyPirate Wed 25-Feb-09 06:31:25

Can I join too? Won't muck about and will read what is suggested.

webstermum Wed 25-Feb-09 08:43:29

I'm here - sitting in the back row on my own grin

AMumInScotland Wed 25-Feb-09 09:25:07

Another one marking the thread - and more good wishes to Kay.

Don't worry if you don't feel ready to "lead" something Justa - if you point us in the right direction I'm sure we'll all be happy to wade in with our thoughts on the passage!

FAQinglovely Wed 25-Feb-09 09:27:47

also signinng in, although also rather hectic at the moment with stuff (including Easter stuff grin

Will try and pop in when I can so just marking my spot really wink

ruty Wed 25-Feb-09 09:29:40

yes hope Kay is ok.

mersmam Wed 25-Feb-09 09:40:48

I'm here too! Not had much of a chance to do any thorough reading yet though...
this may be helpful in provoking some thoughts or comments...
Have had a look online for some study questions which might be able to guide us along a bit but have not had much joy...

How about if everyone picks one particular verse that is most meaningful to them and explains why it is meaningful?? (just and idea smile)

mersmam Wed 25-Feb-09 09:41:28

Best wishes to Kay as well - hope things are OK.

AMumInScotland Wed 25-Feb-09 09:48:32

Are we looking at the whole of Matthew 26 to 28, or just a smaller chunk of it? I know what the "Passion" is in general terms, but do we start all the way back at Passover and Gethsemane?

SixSpot Wed 25-Feb-09 10:01:57

36 ¶ Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsem'ane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.

37 And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zeb'edee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.

38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.

39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.

40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?

41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

43 And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.

44 And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.

45 Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.

46 Rise, let us be going: behold, he is at hand that doth betray me.

I have just read this and gone all shivery. This is my first Ash Wednesday since properly coming back to the Church and to be honest I am finding it quite hard to keep it together.

MrsSeanBean Wed 25-Feb-09 10:12:22

>>if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done<<

I have just read this and the thought that comes to mind is John 15 v 13 - 'Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.'
What love it was/is.
Sometimes I think I forget the humanity of Christ, and assume he could sort of deal with bit, as he was God, but he was also a man and scared.

AMumInScotland Wed 25-Feb-09 10:17:01

It does really bring it home that he was fully human as well as God doesn't it? Obedient, understanding the need for it, but really he'd much rather not have had to go through it. And the disciples are shown as so very human as well - he wasn't really so different from them, but they had the luxury of nodding off from normal human tiredness, where he was having to wrestle with this destiny. So similar, but so different at the same time.

SixSpot Wed 25-Feb-09 10:21:35

Yes, I agree. And the surrender of will..."not as I will, but as thou wilt"...

We say the Lord's Prayer so glibly, "thy will be done". This is what it means, though isn't it - not our will, but God's will.

MrsSeanBean Wed 25-Feb-09 10:23:46

Agree re. glibness, it's a huge thing to say.
I sometimes wish I was more aware of His will for me though, as I am terribly indecisive and it does help.

SixSpot Wed 25-Feb-09 10:31:27

I hope nobody minded me just jumping in and posting that blush.

MrsSeanBean Wed 25-Feb-09 10:32:29

Not at all sixspot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now