Talk

Advanced search

Help me find some house group materials please

(3 Posts)
Smithagain Sun 15-Feb-09 19:50:18

I'm running a daytime house group, mainly for women in their 30s, although we also have a couple of grandmothers.

We're a mixture of committed Christians looking for fellowship and support - and people who are a bit on the fringe of church life - Christian by inclination but not terribly involved.

I'd like to find some material to use in our meetings that will be a good discussion starter, with some Christian content, but fairly light. I have plenty of group Bible study material at home, but that seems a bit too intense for the group I have. I'd like something that looks at issues that are relevant to members of the group, and brings in the Christian perspective, without banging the drum too much IYSWIM.

And there needs to be plenty of time left over for coffee and chat grin

Anyone on my wavelength and able to suggest something suitable. Or do I have to write my own shock.

keepingitRia Sun 15-Feb-09 22:39:28

I went to a group with my church where we watched Chocolat, and there is a book linking it with Christianity. Week one we watched the film and then over the next few weeks we worked through the book, and did lots of discussing and coffee drinking.

I believe the group also did Babettes Feast, and then since I went back we have done Finding Neverland and A Knights Tale. (I don't know how much of the material for these films the group leader wrote herself)

It is nice and informal. But it makes you think. And it was surprising how relevant it was, without feeling so.

HTH.

Smithagain Mon 16-Feb-09 19:33:04

That sounds really imaginative! Nice and informal but making you think it exactly what I'm after. I think I'd need a book to work through, but a film is a really nice starting point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now