Talk

Advanced search

Understanding christianity / reading the bible

(5 Posts)
fee77 Sun 10-Apr-05 13:05:52

I have recently started going to my local church, and although i was brought up in quite a religious family, i was shocked by how little i knew and understood. Can anyone reccommend any books - nothing to heavy as i still have baby brain!

Ameriscot2005 Sun 10-Apr-05 13:12:15

There's a really good book from the Alpha Course called something like "How to Read the Bible in 30 Days". It takes you through very famous passages in the Bible, and tells you how to get the most from them. Once you get in the habit of doing what this book says, you are ready to branch out on your own.

There are also Bible study notes such as "Our Daily Bread" that you can read - there's probably a co-ordinator at your church that supplies these.

The very best way, IMO, is to join a small group where you study a part of the bible together.

There's also a good book called The Children's Bible from Lion Publishers that takes you through most of the historical stuff, and that is a great way to get an overview of events in a few days.

Papillon Sun 10-Apr-05 13:28:07

Conversations with God is a good book about spirituality with a Christian edge to it. This is the authors website... this

ionesmum Sun 10-Apr-05 20:53:03

Definitely recommend joining a group. Also have a look at the BRF website {www.brf.org.uk) as they have loads of fab books, plus a special quarterly publication of Bible reading notes for women. They have a new book out by Alie Stibbe called Barefoot in the Kitchen, written by a mum at home with young children.

I terms of spirituality and prayer, you can't beat Joyce Hugget, Gerard Hughes or Margaret Silf.

DixiExpat Mon 11-Apr-05 13:12:09

Hi Fee,
I think the best thing you can do is keep it simple to start with, reading 100 books with 100 different interpretations cannot compare to a few collective hours a week on your own with the 1 book. Since you say your family was religious I assume that means that indeed you do know at least some of the basics.
Here is a good straight forward site that may help with a study format at your own pace.
http://www.biblestudylessons.com/

Here is one of my favorite sites:

www.keyway.ca

You can look at the daily topic or even search through the many lessons he has completed over 30 years by topic.
I hope these help and that you continue to have the passion of interest for the word.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now