Talk

Advanced search

Anyone a pagan?

(12 Posts)
Amie123 Tue 27-Jan-09 09:45:41

Any fellow pagans on here??Im a pagan and although I am my children are free to make their own minds up i never preach to them.

4 of my children follow my beliefs but 2 dont

PuzzleRocks Tue 27-Jan-09 20:43:20

Bumping for you.

MrsFreud Tue 27-Jan-09 20:50:26

what are your beliefs exactly? I go with the worship the sun bit, but after that I don't know wink

DippyDino Fri 30-Jan-09 13:26:49

I am a lapsed Pagan...

We leave out all religious parts of Xmas...

Try to encourage respect for Nature and have a general eco-philosophy at home...

However we are not 'big' on pagan gods / goddesses, or any deities really. If pushed I would say that I believe in the Native American concept of the Great Spirit type thing, which we are all a part of. But I wouldn't say that anyone else is 'wrong' for believing in different gods or godesses, of whatever religion.

Just to confuse it a little a am also quite fond of some buddhist philosophies as well, thought I wouldn't describe that as a religion.

I reckon that there as many different answers as there are individual pagans!

We are an awkward lot!

solidgoldbullet4myvalentine Fri 30-Jan-09 17:34:15

There's loads on here. I have been known to claim to be one (and did put it on the 01 census because a Real Pagan friend made such a convincing case for doing so) but it is one of those words that means different things to different people, so always best to check...

madamekoto Fri 30-Jan-09 18:23:20

I always say Pagan if pushed as its the closest term to my beliefs. I like to think of it as a nice umbrella we can all crowd under!

Totally agree with DippyDino, very similar to my beliefs. I also expect to change and grow as I progress through life so try to avoid labels. BUT if I had to wear a sticky label it would say Pagan (in rainbow letters)

Personally I blame Robin of sherwood in the 80s! grin

VampiresWalkin Fri 30-Jan-09 18:31:37

I am a vague pagan. I know what I believe and what I follow, and pagan covers it all best I am completely floored if people ask what I believe though

DH was raised Catholic, and is now a bit meh on religion, so the children get to do xmas and yule! I try to teach them both christianity and my beliefs, but it gets very confusing "Who is God's dad?" led to two very different answers.... DD asked for the radio back on afterwards!

ThePgHedgeWitchIsCrankyBeware Fri 30-Jan-09 22:59:29

Message withdrawn

SuperBunny Sun 01-Feb-09 20:50:58

I am a little bit Pagan in that I honour the Earth, the seasons, cycles and teach DS to do the same. Like Vampires, I know what I believe but I find it hard to explain to others.

We have special meals/ activities for the solstices and equinoxes etc and will do some candle burning for Imbolc and, if I get off my fat arse, some cleaning too.

madamekoto Wed 04-Feb-09 11:18:02

Totally know what you mean about explaining your beliefs as its more a case of it just feels right. I think a lot of paganism is based on day to day positive actions and decisions.

I think it is a very internal thing if that makes any sense, It just feels balanced and right and tolerant, which greatly appeals to me. smile

See what I mean! I am RUBBISH at explaining!

Earthymama Wed 04-Feb-09 23:26:35

Me too!! I honour the Earth and the Wheel of the Year, and follow the path of the Goddess.

It's very fulfilling, and takes serious thought.

Merry meet!!

madamekoto Thu 05-Feb-09 11:35:39

I remember even when I was a kid and I found Christianity and other religions uncomfortable. I knew there was something but
did not believe it should be based on guilt or be so patriarchal (only my thoughts, I know and love lots of super Christians!)

We had to draw a picture of God when we were about 5 and I was the only one that drew a woman, everyone else drew white beardy guy. (except for one kid who drew a smurf!grin)

This was all before I had a clue about paganism. My parents were lapsed christians /
atheists. Then when I was about 10 I learnt a bit about pagans and it just clicked. smile

So now I have someone to pray to and a solid belief system which allows for change and growth.

I ultimately think that no-one knows the truth, we just see and feel a part of it and interpret it the way we want. But following the path of the Goddess feels the best path for me! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now