Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to christening

(6 Posts)
evansmummy Fri 25-Mar-05 21:47:17

We come from an evangelical background( in france) and are really against baptising babies. We believe, as is written in the Bible, that baptism occurs after an adult makes a choice to give his life to Jesus. So I wondered what sort of alternative there may be in an Anglican church, without actually baptising. Any ideas?

maisystar Fri 25-Mar-05 21:51:22

not sure, ds had a naming ceremony but i just had to come and say hello as my ds is an evan too

evansmummy Fri 25-Mar-05 21:53:14

Oh, so you're evansmummy too! How old is yours? Mine's just 14 weks and a little darling!!Sorry to be dim, but what's a naming ceremony and is it at all christian?

maisystar Fri 25-Mar-05 21:55:30

mine is 4 1/2 there are a few threads about naming ceremonys, basically they can be whatever suits you, i'm not religious so ds's was very much welcoming him, making promises and generally just a lovely day

miranda2 Fri 25-Mar-05 22:10:34

The Church of England has an official alternative to the service of baptism for an infant, which is a service of thanksgiving, basically praising God for the gift of the baby and officially welcoming him/her into the Christian community. Its a completely standard service, normally more used by the evangelical wing of the church (often before baptism so that it is clear that baptism is the rite of entry into the church not just a naming/welcoming ceremony). Any Anglican church should be able to offer this, but it is often not mentioned as most people just want their baby 'done'... just ask your local vicar.
Hope that helps!
Miranda.

DixiExpat Sun 27-Mar-05 14:37:45

Evansmummy,

I have 3 children and am Evangelical,In the U.S Pentecostal/Charismatic etc; Christians have the option of what's called "baby dedication", many dress their babies up in Christening gowns for the occasion.In all of the ones I've seen the Pastor calls both parents and baby to the front of the assembly, the pastor will usually say a prayer over the parents that they set a proper example for the child and vow to raise it as Christian", the pastor then holds the baby or places his hand on the baby's head reads a scripture (such as ones referring to children being an inheritance from the Lord and the one about training a child up in the way that he/she should go) and the baby is dedicated to God.
Its lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now