loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is Judaism a faith or race?

(18 Posts)
KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Sat 25-Oct-08 23:04:18

ds1 wants to know. I am unsure.

SmileandWave Sat 25-Oct-08 23:07:50

ITs a religion based on the Hebrew bible.

SuckyMuckyCock Sat 25-Oct-08 23:07:53

both

lisad123 Sat 25-Oct-08 23:08:16

judasim is faith but the jews as a whole are a race. I think thats right. hmm

MrsJamesMartin Sat 25-Oct-08 23:08:53

Maybe this will help?

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 23:09:51

I think it's an ethnic group because it is based on history and community with it's own laws and stuff. That's what my human rights lecturer said anyway.

SmileandWave Sat 25-Oct-08 23:09:54

Info here quite helpful

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Sat 25-Oct-08 23:09:57

there was a movie on channel 2 about holocaust. i wouldn't let him watch (he's 9) it's with adrien brody. Someone got shot in head and I turned it off rightquick.

He was asking me what country the Jewish people lived in and I said all countries and he got confused and hence we got to this point.

CarGirl Sat 25-Oct-08 23:10:58

they are unique because they are both. They used to have their own country though.

TotalChaos Sat 25-Oct-08 23:11:58

I'm Jewish and I'm a bit unsure too grin.

I would go with Lisa123 - that there's the pure religious aspect but also a cultural/heritage aspect too - so both really.

PS - you mean the film the Pianist I think - you're probably right about it being a bit old for a 9 year old.

MrsJamesMartin Sat 25-Oct-08 23:12:43

Israel is a Jewish state I would guess that many Jews would regard Israel as their home land even if they live elsewhere.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Sat 25-Oct-08 23:13:06

Ah. thanks for links. about.com says not a race but a religion that you are born into or can convert into.

Too tired to read all of the other link but will bookmark for ds1! Thanks all.

lisad123 Sat 25-Oct-08 23:14:37

yep def israel as home land.

Glad i was right on something this week lol

solidgoldskullonastick Sat 25-Oct-08 23:15:00

AFAIU it's sort of both and either. I've got several Jewish friends, one or two of whom are actively religious, some of whom are Jewish by birth but not bothered about the religious aspects, and at least one who is Jewish by birth but of another religion by choice. I have occasionally discussed this with some of them (the only category I don't actually know anyone in is 'other-by-birth-but-converted-to-the-Jewish-faith') and had a variety of answers.

ChukkyPig Sat 25-Oct-08 23:16:43

Both!

Howver, you can join the jewish religion, while not being able to join the race (obviously).

Also interesting and important to note that many jewish people are not particularly religious, and that the israeli government does not speak for all jews.

I think a lot of people have misunderstandings stemming from that.

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 28-Oct-08 23:43:07

Both...I have a friend whose husband converted and now claims to be an ethnic minority, based on the fact that he is now Jewish. hmm

I bumped into him in a pub one lunchtime and he was eating a ham and cheese sandwich and was mortified at being caught. grin

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Tue 28-Oct-08 23:45:47

but at what point do you become part of the Jewish race if your ancestors converted? Ever?

So say your great, great, great, great grandmother converted would YOU be part of the Jewish race?

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 31-Oct-08 00:12:35

I think we need LisaLisa on this one!

If your great, great, great, grandmother converted, there are probably some Jews who wouldn't see you/her as being Jewish. If it was your great (times four!) grandfather who converted, but great granny was Jewish, then it would matter less (if at all) as being Jewish is passed through the female line.

My mother's family are German Jews and moved here in the early 20th century, just before my grandmother was born. I can't see any of them ticking the box for "ethnic minority - Jewish" on any of those forms you get to fill in. I tick "white European" as I think that covers my English father, German Jewish mother/grandmother and French grandfather...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now