The wheels on the atheist bus keep turning

(21 Posts)
hunkermunker Fri 24-Oct-08 21:40:32

Coo - more than £100k now!

onager Fri 24-Oct-08 21:51:52

sorkycake Sat 25-Oct-08 04:35:44

Fabulous!

MaryBS Sat 25-Oct-08 09:43:54

Does this mean they'll be able to afford a DECENT ad agency, that can come up with a more intelligent slogan? grin

VeniVidiVickiQV Sat 25-Oct-08 09:45:26

that link isnt working for me???

onager Sat 25-Oct-08 12:50:49

www.justgiving.com/atheistbus

onager Sat 25-Oct-08 12:53:08

True, it wasn't a great slogan, but I love the thought that Stephen Green (Christian Voice) may travel by bus and will get to see it. Others too, but he is the one who keeps popping up lately.

Acinonyx Sat 25-Oct-08 19:39:53

smile

theSuburbanDryad Sat 25-Oct-08 19:44:40

I prefer "All aboard The Rational Express"!

wink

Tee2072 Sun 26-Oct-08 06:00:02

They definitely need a better slogan, because that one? Is not atheist, its agnostic!

But cool on the amount of money they've raised!

cuttingmeownthroatdibblaaaargh Sun 26-Oct-08 12:22:30

Fab - I do prefer 'All aboard the Rational Express' though.

Great to get people thinking about Humanists and what that really means - not that we are just godless bad people grin

onager Sun 26-Oct-08 12:55:28

I'd have voted for 'All aboard the Rational Express' too. It would be more likely to upset christians though...

Marina Sun 26-Oct-08 13:02:13

Why onager? I'm a Christian and think All Aboard the Rational Express is a much funnier slogan. Why do you think it will offend Christians?

Marina Sun 26-Oct-08 13:04:51

And the meeja are using Stephen Green because he is predictably foam-flecked and a cheap rise. The man is a bigot and a twit and you will find no support for him in most Church of England congregations.

MingMingtheWonderPet Sun 26-Oct-08 13:12:31

Fab, but the slogan needs to change.

onager Sun 26-Oct-08 18:49:02

Marina, generally christians get upset if we refer to atheism as rational since it implies that christianity is not. There have been huge rows on MN about it.

Of course it need not be an insult. Religion wouldn't be classed as rational because if it were it wouldn't involve faith etc.

As for Stephen Green you may be right. I think we atheists should save up and employ him since he is a good argument for our side

Marina Sun 26-Oct-08 18:54:03

I feel rather the same way about Richard Dawkins tbh onager wink. Both gentlemen are perfect quote fodder.
Rationalism with a capital "R" is fine by me! As far as I'm concerned it is terminology used by Humanists to describe their views. I know I'm a rational person with a small "r" and so are most of the people in the congregation in our parish church.

UnquietDad Mon 27-Oct-08 23:30:01

Somewhat late, Mary Kenny has muscled in. Gog, she is awful. Reminds me of why I used to hate her in the Daily Mail.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 27-Oct-08 23:41:15

And she used to be such a radical UQD. In her very young days.
She came to our university debating society in the 80s (NOT her very young days) and subsequently published a rant in her Sunday Times column deploring our sartorial standards - apparently when she had been a member of said debating society in the 60s, gloves and hats were worn hmm

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 27-Oct-08 23:42:27

I heard about this on the radio in the car the other day!!!

SmugColditz Tue 28-Oct-08 00:11:53

My Grandad had a Humanist funerel. It was lovely. Lots of focus on how we loved him, how we will miss him and what a nice man he was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now