Talk

Advanced search

Fellow Catholics...where do you start when explaining about God?Jesus to a 2.5 yr old?

(14 Posts)
luckymummy74 Thu 16-Oct-08 19:22:51

My DD1 is 2 and a half. I have taken her to church almost every week since she was 2 weeks old. She enjoys church. We have friends who go to the same church (who we met at church) with kids the same age as her. She likes singing, and more recently, saying 'Amen' (cute), she loves shaking hands at the sign of peace, and putting money in the collection.

I've started saying that we go to church to say 'prayers to Jesus' and at night time we say prayers to Jesus, just stuff like, thank-you for the sunshine and for having lovely toys to play with and food to eat and nice friends to play with etc.

She's very clued up generally for her age, with good understanding. I was just wondering...how do you start to explain to 2 year old who Jesus is and what it's all about??

Any tips?

I am (obv) practicing RC, DH was baptised RC but doesn't really believe anymore so I'm on my own. My family are very religious and supportive.

nickytwoooohtimes Thu 16-Oct-08 19:26:47

I think you just answer the questions she comes up with herself. Ds is 2.3 so I wonder about this myself tbh!
I am one of the childrens' liturgy leaders at our church - anythign similar at your church? We go through to the hall during mass and have simpler readings and draw/make things. It is great fun.

luckymummy74 Thu 16-Oct-08 19:46:46

Yes we have childrens liturgy but they have to be at least 3, if not 4 yrs old, to go. I am hoping to be a helper there when the time comes, but I also have a 6 month old DD2!

luckymummy74 Thu 16-Oct-08 19:47:37

I almost feel like a need a refresher course...it was all so fresh in my head as a child/teenager being brought up strict catholic, and I even did A level RE!!

nickytwoooohtimes Thu 16-Oct-08 20:14:25

Hmmmm. [ponders]
I suppose introducing the concept of a loving person who tskes care of us is a start and of course trying to be a kind person, sharing with others, etc, etc.
Just being a good example of someone trying to live a good Christian life, as you are doing, is the best thing. She'll pick it up from you and others around her.

It's a toughy, this question!

scrappydappydoo Thu 16-Oct-08 20:24:22

Hiya - not RC but am a Christian and have got a 2.5yr old - we have a bible story book that we read each night as well as her bedtime story - I also have cd of childrens songs we listen to in the car. We talk quite a bit about why we go to church and obviously pray together each night. Through this she is starting to get a good idea about who Jesus is.
Maybe you could get a good advent calendar this year that tells the christmas story and go forward from there..
Above all - children learn by example - so if your life demonstrates your faith then they will naturally pick it up.
hth

luckymummy74 Thu 16-Oct-08 20:27:02

Yes we have a fab advent calender that my (very very holy) brother bought her, but she was too young fo rit until this year, it's the nativity scene and each day of advent you add..a camel...a shepherd etc etc...you get the picture! I think she'll love building up the scene. I also got her a lovely pop out book on 'the real christmas'. She is very into Birthdays and singing happy birthday, so I will tell her that it is Jesus' birthday etc etc

scrappydappydoo Thu 16-Oct-08 20:36:35

Sounds brill - we have the fisher price little people natvity blush for her to play with but we also get the divine fairtrade choc calender which includes the story each day and a choc grin. The birthday idea is good - think I'll use that..

luckymummy74 Sun 19-Oct-08 16:02:11

Brill idea scrappy...I am gonna get her the little people nativity set...I didn't even know it existed!

Tommy Sun 19-Oct-08 16:06:03

I don't think I've ever explained God, Jesus etc to my DSs - they are just part of life to us IYSWIM. I think if they go to church regularly and you talk about it afterwards and say prayers at bed times and mealtimes, then God and Jesus are just part of the family smile

SqueakyPop Sun 19-Oct-08 16:16:54

Not Roman Catholic (evangelical Anglican) but we have just brought our children up by example. We go to church on Sundays and fully participate in the services. We do midweek activities. We are big on working for the church (eg cooking for courses).

It's all very natural to them - they have not known anything else.

I think children are happy to copy you and if they question, you explain why.

It's pretty easy for us as an evangelical family because we say that everything we do is is either in the bible or commanded to us by scripture.

I don't think children have a big problem complying. My older kids are all in Catholic schools and have no problem doing the Sign of the Cross etc. They don't really question it. My DD, who is in the Catholic school that I teach in, was instructed by a Sister to do this - so she does so unquestioningly (at school). She doesn't do it at church so is fairly astute as to when to be biblical and when to follow tradition. I think it is a good skill for her to have!

To the OP, if you were a cradle Catholic, what did your parents do to instruct you in the faith? If you feel it was productive, then follow their example. Don't be ashamed of your faith or feel the need to follow the ways of the world.

luckymummy74 Sun 19-Oct-08 16:36:28

Thanks squeeky, good advice. My DD1 is very inquizative (she's 2.5yrs old!). I am happy to explain things to her as best I can.

I was/am a cradle catholic. I suppose you are right, cos I never really questioned it, that was just the way it was, IYSWIM. I went to catholic school (where my Dad was deputy head) and M&D were pretty strict on things like not eating meat on good friday etc etc.

SqueakyPop Sun 19-Oct-08 16:49:11

At 2.5, your DD should be happy with going along with everyone else. You shouldn't have too much explaining to do

luckymummy74 Sun 19-Oct-08 21:36:35

hee hee....must just tell you, DH came down from putting her to bed one night and said

"she kept saying 'petta cheeses'?"

And I said....she wants you to say prayers to jesus. smile

That's my girl grin!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now