Talk

Advanced search

Tell me what happens in a Catholic baptism please

(6 Posts)
Laugs Tue 14-Oct-08 10:42:01

I'm thinking of becoming baptised into the Catholic faith. It's something I've thought about on and off for a few years, but never done anything about it as I'm not really sure what to do and what it would entail.

DP has said he is considering it too. We have a 2 yr old DD, also not yet baptised.

Can anyone tell me what would happen in a ceremony, what it would actually mean, and whether the three of us (DP,DD and I) could do it together or if DD would have to wait?

Thanks!

AMumInScotland Tue 14-Oct-08 10:53:19

I know that adults joining some churches (Anglican I know about) are expected to get confirmed and baptised in the same ceremony rather than just being baptised on its own. The reason is that baptism alone is usually done for children who are not yet old enough to "confirm" the baptismal promises for themselves, but adults who are joining the church are old enough to do both together.

With confirmation, you are usually expected to go to classes for a few weeks (or longer) to be taught about the faith and think through what it is you are doing and why.

You can get DD baptised no problem at 2 - but it would be up to the church whether they would do it at the same time as your baptism and confirmation. When I was confirmed (C of E) there were only other adults getting confirmed. Some of them were baptised as well because they hadn't been before, but there weren't any children.

By the way, this is all assuming you haven't already been baptised or confirmed in a different denomination - if you had, yu don't need to be done again!

AnnieOneSeenMyPumpkin Tue 14-Oct-08 11:00:09

I was brought up Catholic in Ireland. Everyone got baptised at a few weeks old!! We were then allowed to 'choose' to be confirmed at 12 (ie the nuns made us!)
As an adult, your own choice, I'm not sure how it works, specially in this country. I guess if you go along to your local Catholic church, speak to the priest, he may ask you to come and meet with him, and he should be able to explain it all. I'm sure all three of you could be baptised at the same ceremony, it sounds lovely!
You may well have to attend some classes, as AMum said, we certainly had to learn off a load of stuff at 12.
My two DC's were baptised at the same time (I took them both back to Ireland, aged 2.6 and 3 months) and our priest was happy to do it that way. As long as one of the godparents that you choose is Catholic then that is ok.

Good luck.

AnnieOneSeenMyPumpkin Tue 14-Oct-08 11:03:16

The ceremony itself, btw, would probably be after a mass, family and friends can stay to attend, you would go up to the front with the baby, the priest would say some prayers, pour a little holy water over you/the baby, and bless various things, like a white robe (which represents something or other).
I don't think they would expect you to strip off and get dunked if that's that you think!!

Sorry, I'm a little lapsed, but still a believer... sort of...

What it would actually mean, is probably best explained by a priest.

Philomytha Wed 15-Oct-08 20:39:15

Adults normally join their local parish's RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) course that starts around this time of year, and are received into the church at the Easter Vigil (huge long Mass late at night on Easter Saturday, the biggest celebration of the church's year). They will be baptised during the Vigil and confirmed and receive their First Communion all at the same time. I don't know whether your child could be baptised at the same time, because she isn't old enough to be confirmed or make her first Communion. If not, she'd be baptised either in a small private ceremony, or during a normal Sunday Mass depending on what you want and what's normal in your parish. The best thing to do would be to go to your local Catholic church and speak to the priest, he'll be delighted to hear from you.

Oh, and if you do decide to join, welcome!

Lilyloo Wed 15-Oct-08 20:44:32

Our local priest is lovely i usually ring him when i have arranged dc's baptism and he goes through it over phone.
Might be worth going to mass and seeing him afterwards or give him a ring!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: