Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Jehovah's Witnesses - please could you help me.

(6 Posts)
Tas1 Tue 07-Oct-08 21:25:01

Please would you help me. I am a childminder and for part of my course I am looking at different faiths.
May I ask you some questions?

1) Are there any celebrations within the faith and are there any traditional ways of celebrating?

2) Are there any foods involved within the faith?

3) Are there any special clothes or ceremonial gowns used within the faith?

4) What ceremonies are conducted within the faith?

Thank you

Aimsmum Tue 07-Oct-08 21:44:09

Message withdrawn

wakeywoo Wed 08-Oct-08 09:41:44

Hello smile

I'm not a JW, but I know a lot of people who are and I've been to a few meetings etc so:

1) They observe a celebration called the Memorial of Christ's Death. Taken from the last supper, when the disciples ate the bread and drank the wine Jesus asked his followers to "Keep doing this in rememberance of me". The reason they don't celebrate christmas, birthdays, easter is that these have their origins in Pagan worship and therefore they don't see these celebrations as originating with God.

2)What Aimsmum said.

3) They don't wear any special robes or gowns. For their meetings and when they are on the ministry, they are required to wear smart clothes.

4) Again what Aimsmum said grin. Also at the memorial I mentioned earlier, during the ceremony they pass around unleavened bread and wine, but the don't drink or eat it, just reflect on it's important meaning.

I really hope this is helpful! I'm not feeling very articulate this morning wink

TheInvisibleManDidIt Wed 08-Oct-08 09:50:33

My parents are JW, I was brought up as one until I was 15.

Aimsmum and wakeywoo have just about covered it all.

The baptism is a very big thing for them.

As mentioned they are required to dress smartly, woman generally don't wear trousers to the meetings. If there is a meeting where only women are in attendance and they are required to say a prayer for the group they need to wear a headscarf.

Tas1 Wed 08-Oct-08 16:53:42

Thank you to everyone who replied, there is only so much you can get from the internet. It is realy nice to hear from people who are a part of this faith.

Thank you

If you think of anything else please let me know, I will keep popping back to this thread.

wakeywoo Wed 08-Oct-08 19:23:17

No problem! If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask grin.

If it's any help, they have a very comprehensive website which will give you a lot of info: www.watchtower,org.

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now