Message withdrawn at poster's request.

revjustabout Fri 26-Sep-08 18:00:04

sarah293 Fri 26-Sep-08 18:01:46

Message withdrawn

revjustabout Fri 26-Sep-08 18:04:09

Ellbell Fri 26-Sep-08 20:19:18

I have a really big problem with the idea of illness as a sign of inner imperfections (even if you take it at a universal rather than at an individual level). Go too far down that route and you end up with an attitude like that of my great aunt who believed that her son had been born with Down's Syndrome because of something terrible that she had done and consequently hid him away from the world for over 60 years sad. Surely illness is like a natural disaster (flood, earthquake)? I can't believe that God sends earthquakes or makes volcanoes erupt. But since we live in a world where crap happens (volcanoes erupt, the earth trembles, our children get sick), I can see how it might be helpful to believe that, although we can't control what happens we have someone/something who can guide us through it all. And I suppose that the point of the fact that the 'still small voice of calm' speaks 'through the earthquake, wind and fire' is that sometimes we need crap to happen to jolt us out of our complacency and make us listen for the still small voice.

cmotdibbler Fri 26-Sep-08 20:30:14

Methinks someone has been listening to Radio2 yesterday - Pause for Thought was about the healing touch of a woman.

To me, the laying on of hands is about the human connection, the touch of another human being that says 'we're still here, in it together'. Its why a hug, a back rub, just a squeeze of the hand gets us through the tough times. And thats without involving/invoking any higher powers...

revjustabout Fri 26-Sep-08 22:32:51

ruty Fri 26-Sep-08 22:47:15

don't believe illness is a physical sign of our imperfection. I believe God gave us everything we needed to progress towards healing ourselves and eradicating illness we've missed and squandered so many opportuniies through greed and war. I reckon if we'd spent the money that has been spent on war in the 20th and 21st century on research we'd have a cure for cancer by now, and if we funded stem cell research properly we'd have found cures for a host of other debilitating diseases. You only have too look at developing countries and see that children are still dying of malnourishment and unsanitary conditions to realise our greed has always overtaken our desire to create a better world.

I hope, as we understand the intricacies of the immune system better, that we will find ways of preventing and curing illnesses that we fear for our children. I find laying on of hands very comforting, almost necessary, something i've grown up with, but find the whole praying for healing topic very difficult, a moral and metaphysical minefield.

ruty Fri 26-Sep-08 22:47:16

don't believe illness is a physical sign of our imperfection. I believe God gave us everything we needed to progress towards healing ourselves and eradicating illness we've missed and squandered so many opportuniies through greed and war. I reckon if we'd spent the money that has been spent on war in the 20th and 21st century on research we'd have a cure for cancer by now, and if we funded stem cell research properly we'd have found cures for a host of other debilitating diseases. You only have too look at developing countries and see that children are still dying of malnourishment and unsanitary conditions to realise our greed has always overtaken our desire to create a better world.

I hope, as we understand the intricacies of the immune system better, that we will find ways of preventing and curing illnesses that we fear for our children. I find laying on of hands very comforting, almost necessary, something i've grown up with, but find the whole praying for healing topic very difficult, a moral and metaphysical minefield.

ruty Fri 26-Sep-08 22:48:05

blush

gigglewitch Fri 26-Sep-08 22:59:09

<lurking, interested. you did ask> hmm

MaryBS Sat 27-Sep-08 08:49:14

I've laid hands on my son (in the healing sense) a couple of times. The first was when he'd thrown up everywhere in the middle of the night for the fourth or fifth time. The second time was when he'd woken up yet again with a bad dream, screaming the place down. Each time it served to settle him, the first time he wasn't sick again, the second he didn't wake again. I still have this image of him in my head looking at me as I laid hands on him and prayed, all trusting, the calmness coming to him. I believe in a God who heals, and I believe He used me to help my son.

The other day I had a different experience of praying. My son has Asperger's Syndrome, on Wednesday I was diagnosed too (a big sense of relief), but on Tuesday I went into church, almost overcome with the stress of the appointment finally being here, and I shouted at the top of my voice "I HATE YOU GOD!" - fortunately the church was empty. I've since been back and apologise blush, but I felt like a teenager, screaming at a parent, not meaning what I said, but needing somehow to get the frustration out.

I haven't prayed for healing for my son and for myself, the Aspergers is too much part of who we are, and I just wouldn't recognise us if God DID heal us. I just pray for the strength for us both to cope with it, and for those around us to cope too, when we have these outbursts. And may God USE me to help my son, and God willing, to help others in the same position.

sarah293 Sat 27-Sep-08 09:31:38

Message withdrawn

ruty Sat 27-Sep-08 10:57:57

oh Riven sad God did not blight your dd to punish you or her. One of the reasons I am agnostic is because it is impossible to make any sense of the fact that children suffer incalculably like your dd. If there is a God he mourns your dd's loss of full health as much as you do and loves her dearly.

revjustabout Sat 27-Sep-08 11:04:26

revjustabout Sat 27-Sep-08 13:27:32

revjustabout Sat 27-Sep-08 13:33:01

ZipadiSuzy Sat 27-Sep-08 14:08:41

rev - still lurking, very interesting!

prayers for you & your daughter riven, lovely thing rev said, and I think quite comforting, that your daughter may be more closer to God.

Then on the other hand, I'd be quite selfish and think, sod it I want my daughter not God!

Hope I am not being too outspoken!

ZipadiSuzy Sat 27-Sep-08 14:14:49

I did hear of a poem/prayer that explained that our children are only lent to us???????? can't remember it [grr] and I did feel then very possessive.

Nettee Sat 27-Sep-08 14:32:05

Hi everyone, thank your revjust about - interesting reflection. I have been thinking about if I pray for my children when they are slightly sick and I suppose I don't but then I give them calpol or take them to the doctor so I know I am doing something. I expect I would start praying if things got more serious and I was more worried about the outcome. Do you think kissing them better when they have a bump is the same as the laying on of hands - it certainly seems to work like magic.

ZipadiSuzy Sat 27-Sep-08 14:40:51

We automatically rub ourselves if we bump ourselves, so it is a natural healing power we have, why not use it if it makes us or our loved ones better.

ZipadiSuzy Sat 27-Sep-08 14:41:33

Whether it is religious or not hmm

revjustabout Sat 27-Sep-08 15:57:47

feeble Sat 27-Sep-08 20:01:50

Lurking and learning.... wink

revjustabout Sat 27-Sep-08 20:59:41

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now