Talk

Advanced search

'coming out' to one's mother....

(11 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 12-Sep-08 18:14:37

Message withdrawn

SesHasapinkline Fri 12-Sep-08 18:19:28

I used to be CofE and converted to Roman Catholocism about 10 years ago. My DM felt a bit like I was rejecting how she'd brought me up so I tried to reassure her it was still a part of me and had been part of my "journey" that had got me to my decision.

In the end she accepted it but she does find it strange that I have chosen something different to her.

I know it's not exactly the same in two situations but hth.

Also I think offering her a copy of that book is a v good idea. Up to her whether she reads it or not but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Also (again!) I agree in the God is God theory. I went to school with 2 girls who had a very strong Islam faith and we talked about our different beliefs and found more similarities than we thought!

Hope all goes well for you!

sarah293 Fri 12-Sep-08 18:47:18

Message withdrawn

ummadam Sat 13-Sep-08 21:02:51

Just do it - it is easier in the long run - my mum thought I was going to tell her I was pregnant so Islam came as a bit of a relief (I was half way through my uni course at the time). Some days she is fine with it, some days she isn't but it is much easier now I don't have to pretend.

I told her in a similar way to *SesHasapinkline * as she had always encouraged us to search and ask questions. She doesn't really like me wearing hijab and still thinks I am going to 'indoctrinate' my baby son by reading him stories from the Quran (noah and the flood! hmm) but generally she is ok.

Good luck!

justabouthadcurry Sat 13-Sep-08 21:05:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaryBS Sun 14-Sep-08 10:09:44

From my limited understanding of Islam, we all worship "the God of Abraham", and hence we worship the same God. Our views on how God has revealed himself to his creation differ.

This article explains it pretty well, but I cannot answer for how accurate it is from a Muslim pov: same God?

sarah293 Mon 15-Sep-08 08:49:26

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Mon 15-Sep-08 08:50:09

Message withdrawn

ummadam Mon 15-Sep-08 10:54:10

Lol!

It's not going to be easy - but with all my family I found it was easier once the words were spoken. If she brought you up pagan and then became a Christian perhaps that would be an opening for the conversation - the fact that you are not the only one that has come nearer to God over the course of your life and how although you worship him differently, the fundamental faith in him and your outlook on life (prayer, charity, good works, striving to be the best person you can be, equality in the eyes of our lord, integrity of character etc) are the same.

or you could just tell her you are pregnant with octuplets and work backwards from there... wink

MaryBS Mon 15-Sep-08 16:04:34

You mean you don't cheat on benefits? wink

My mother had to get used to my becoming an Anglican after being brought up devout RC. It still causes her qualms every now and again, but she loves me and so bends her principles a bit...

sarah293 Mon 15-Sep-08 16:37:33

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now