Talk

Advanced search

What do creationists make of the Cern experiment today?

(161 Posts)
beansprout Wed 10-Sep-08 13:27:18

It's getting a huge amount of coverage here in the UK. Is it getting much coverage in the US? What do people with a different viewpoint make of it? smile

WideWebWitch Wed 10-Sep-08 13:34:35

Oh good question. I'd like to know too.

beansprout Thu 11-Sep-08 09:20:37

Looks like we'll never know!! smile

FAQ Thu 11-Sep-08 09:24:05

well tbh I've never understood the big bang theory - I mean there had to be "something" there to go bang in the first place didn't there?

I think it's an interesting scientific development and it'll be interesting to see if they do indeed manage to create a black hole.

Alambil Thu 11-Sep-08 09:43:51

I find it easier to believe the Creation story - not in the 7 days; but that "someone" created it all. I do believe that 100% - I don't believe fish turned into lizards turned into birds...

I think this Cern thing is... I don't know - men (as in "Man" the species) trying to glean knowledge that they'll never get completely.

I believe there are some things we will never and should not ever know 100% - I have knowledge in my faith that we shouldn't question things to that extent - ie, to know the whole reasons behind everything on the planet... but that's what faith is, innit?

I don't know - it just seems a collossal waste of money to me

Madlentileater Thu 11-Sep-08 09:47:48

what, you don't belive in evolution?
I can appreciate from a religious standpoint there will always be the question what made the big bang happen, but find it odd not to be able to reconcile 'god' and an ordered universe that we can find out about.

Alambil Thu 11-Sep-08 09:50:51

No, I don't believe in evolution - I believe God made each and every species we have ever known (and new ones)

Call me simplistic or whatever - but that's my thoughts

I am however not militant - I realise the Bible wasn't written by God himself but it was inspired by Him

I think the 7 days (as in 7 24hr periods) is unlikely but I think the light came before the animals and then men ... etc..

<ducks from the flames of MN!>

funkybumps Thu 11-Sep-08 09:53:42

I personally think they should leave well alone with this. They are delving into areas that could potentially destroy the world. If they do create a black hole and they were wrong about its size and volume etc.., then what ?? This is a ridiculous experiment that has the potential to go seriously wrong because these people are trying to play God.

RANT OVER !!!!!

FAQ Thu 11-Sep-08 09:54:43

I do believe in some form of evolution - you only need to see what happens today in science with interbreeding and stuff - and there must be the possibility that animals somehow interbred/got genes mixed up in the past - but I don't believe that things "evolved" from on species to another per se

right gotta go - work focussed interview and drs appointment to get to

TheDevilWearsPrimark Thu 11-Sep-08 09:58:18

How can you not believe in something proven?

I do believe in something 'higher' and don't think anyone can ever know what it is, there are a lot of unknowns. But I fail to see how you can disregard what is known.

Madlentileater Thu 11-Sep-08 09:59:18

Blimey.
No flames, but am speechless (typeless??)
Have never knowingly met someone who didn't belive in evolution. What about fossils?

mabanana Thu 11-Sep-08 10:00:30

Not 'believing' in evolution is like not 'believing' that the earth is round or that mammals produce milk. It's just a fact.
Evolution is happening all the time. It can happen almost while you watch - like this: www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/content/interviews/interview/936/
People who think that the CERN scientists are planning a mass suicide really should read up on it all a bit more. It's an amazing, beautiful thing that will further human knowledge and probably bring untold benefits to us all. I just don't get wilful ignorance at all. Why refuse to find out and learn? It's a human instinct!

TheDevilWearsPrimark Thu 11-Sep-08 10:01:43

This has made me think of the flat earth society. God they are fascinating, and freaky.

tortoiseshell Thu 11-Sep-08 10:03:34

I'm definitely not 'creationist' - I totally get evolution etc! But nothing the scientists have ever explained is what was 'before' the big bang!

funkybumps Thu 11-Sep-08 10:07:04

mabanana, I've read up on it a lot so I'm not being ignorant at all with my view point. The fact is noboby knows what's going to happen when this thing goes off, not even CERN. They can only predict what they think is going to occur. ( Their words, not mine )

I agree the outcome will be exciting and we can learn more about where we came from etc.. but I also worry that if they do get it wrong ( and there is a chance ) then we could all be in serious trouble because of their quest to further human knowledge !

DutchOma Thu 11-Sep-08 10:07:39

Here is something else to throw in the pot:- I believe God creates through evolution. But the main thing in that statement is that God creates.
I agree that 1* it is a colossal waste of money and 2* that they should leave well alone.

OrmIrian Thu 11-Sep-08 10:11:19

Lewisfan! Really?

<jaw hits floor>

I don't see why it matters so much if you want to beleive in a divine presence. Whatever the scientist find out surely God could have done it all. Flicked the first domino in his monumental layout. Even evolution can be explained in that way. Can't it?

Tidgypuds Thu 11-Sep-08 10:12:33

I dont believe in evolution either like Lewisfan.

Ok so in theory particles smashed together to produce this 'big bang' but who made the particles and speed and the energy to make them collide?

I believe in God as the creator of all things.

The 7 days were not 24 hour periods. These were creative days and as it says in 2 Peter 3v8 - However, let this one fact not be escaping your notice, beloved ones, that one day is with God as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.

So the 7 days spoke about in Genesis were not our literal days as in our 24 hour periods. In the biblical sense a 'day can simply mean a period of time. Gen 2v4.

I think the experiment is interesting but the money could have been spent on more just causes. Nevermind where we came from, sort out where we are going.

mabanana Thu 11-Sep-08 10:14:32

They don't know exactly what will happen, that's a huge part of the thrill, but they do know they are not about to destroy the world!
The energy produced is tiny. This is a massive 20 year project by the greatest scientists alive today, not some teenage boys messing about in a shed!

mabanana Thu 11-Sep-08 10:15:16

Do you flat-earthers realise that the internet itself was invented at CERN?

mabanana Thu 11-Sep-08 10:16:19

Evolution is real, people....<shakes head in despair>

AMumInScotland Thu 11-Sep-08 10:20:13

Note to self : Step away from the thread. Step away from the thread. Step away from the thread.

Overmydeadbody Thu 11-Sep-08 10:20:48

I am shocked LF, and speachless, that you don't believe in evolution!

Evolution is something that exists and that there is proof for and that is still happening today.Surely if you believe in God you can still believe in evolution by saying that God was responsible for it?

Do you believe in survival of the fittest?

Overmydeadbody Thu 11-Sep-08 10:22:31

Ok, they don't know exactly what will happen, but srely that shouldn't stop them experimenting?

Imagine the world we would be living in today if we only ever did things if we knew exactly what would happen as a result?

funkybumps Thu 11-Sep-08 10:23:01

I wonder how much of a thrill it will be for you when we're all getting sucked into a black hole in 4 years time !

At the end of the day, we are never all going to agree on this. We all believe in different things and are entitled to our own views etc. However, just because some people on here have a different view from others does not make them complete idiots and believe the world is flat !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now