Talk

Advanced search

What 'type' of churches do we all go to?

(93 Posts)
LizziAndB Sun 17-Aug-08 20:26:06

I was just interested in what denomination of church everyone goes to? I go to a evangelical brethren church.

SqueakyPop Sun 17-Aug-08 20:29:04

I go to an evangelical Anglican church. It is wonderful - ties me to the area.

procrastinatingparent Sun 17-Aug-08 20:30:24

Evangelical independent.

Icanseethesea Sun 17-Aug-08 20:31:08

Bit nomadic really. Vineyard, mostly, but still organise the family service once a month at the local anglican.

Having said that, went to evangelical brethren today. It's the church we went to years ago and still have loads of friends there.

LizziAndB Sun 17-Aug-08 20:36:42

What made you all go to your churches, was it a conscious choice or was it just one you were nearest/grew up in?

Ready4anotherCoffee Sun 17-Aug-08 20:40:00

CofE.

I was bought up Catholic, but this is my nearest by quite a distance, and it is really welcoming to families. There is an U5's corner and is not too stuffy if they do decide to act up.

Niecie Sun 17-Aug-08 20:40:30

We go to an evangelical Anglican church.

We started going there because it was the closest church to our house (3 mins walk) and therefore it is part of our community. We did try the Methodist about 10 mins walk away (which I went to for a while as a child) as DH's father is a Methodist minister but we were the only young family there and decided that it wasn't for us. Our church has a fantastic mix of ages and suits us much better.

SqueakyPop Sun 17-Aug-08 20:41:42

We started going because we were invited. It was the second closest mainstream church to us.

procrastinatingparent Sun 17-Aug-08 20:42:43

Ahem. DH works there - no choice really!

Slubberdegullion Sun 17-Aug-08 20:44:14

village CofE

beansmum Sun 17-Aug-08 20:49:35

evangelical anglican, it's less than 5 mins walk away. If it wasn't the closest church I definitely wouldn't carry on going. I tried a new church last week which would suit me I think, but no kids groups and ds hated it.

LizziAndB Sun 17-Aug-08 20:50:28

Not many scottish folk on this forum then? wink

LizziAndB Sun 17-Aug-08 20:53:08

A lot of you go to churches really close while I would normally agree with this, we go to one which is a 20min drive. Started going to it and couldnt afford a bigger house in the area.

SqueakyPop Sun 17-Aug-08 20:58:22

Our church is in the next parish and is just a 5 minute drive/15 minute cycle/25 minute walk.

Our parish church Liberal Catholic (Anglican) which is not our cup of tea. But the beauty of the Churhc of England is that it is all things to all people, and if you live in a reasonably populated area, there is a church that is ideal for you.

When I grew up in Sotland, all the churches had about 20 elderly people in their congregations. I love the contrast of having 500 every Sunday with heaving midweek activities. When I go to my parents' church, I feel very sad.

lou031205 Sun 17-Aug-08 21:10:33

Evangelical Charismatic Free church. Part of New Frontiers.

Great church in our village centre, joined 12 years ago at 17. Fantastic church family. Love it.

LizziAndB Sun 17-Aug-08 21:11:11

SP- Ive been to churches that dont have a lot going for them in terms of not a lot folk etc. I go to a great church with a wide age range and lots of young families etc. where did you grow up?

SqueakyPop Sun 17-Aug-08 21:18:10

East Lothian

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Sun 17-Aug-08 21:20:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Icanseethesea Sun 17-Aug-08 21:58:54

Malory do you live in the same parish as me??!!smile

blithedance Sun 17-Aug-08 22:08:41

A New Frontiers churchtoo. I'm glad that Lou found a description for them. I would just say, charismatic house church.

Also go to events/kids activities at the village CofE church but not to Sunday services.

It was a conscious choice, we decided the charismatic worship style and general approach to church/community life was important to us, we had previously been going somewhere much more traditional (albeit closer) and felt rather out of place.

lou031205 Sun 17-Aug-08 22:13:20

blithedance, whereabouts are you? smile

We have the Wessex Region weekend this bank holiday at New Park in the Newforest - camping. it's called Acceler8. Looking forward to it, except that 2.8 year old DD is adamant that she does not want to sleep in a tent. All prayers gratefully received for the sake of our fellow campers!

ja9 Sun 17-Aug-08 22:15:30

Evangelical Church of Scotland

(waves to LizzieAandB!!)

tiredlady Sun 17-Aug-08 22:17:05

Sorry to be ignorant, but what does a "charismatic" church mean?

Fleecy Sun 17-Aug-08 22:20:51

Another New Frontiers one here - we're in Norwich. Used to go to the Dartford church.

LizziAndB Sun 17-Aug-08 22:23:48

ja9- glad Im not the only scot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now