Talk

Advanced search

Kosher cooking - follwoing the spirit or the letter?

(46 Posts)
PrettyCandles Fri 15-Aug-08 22:18:17

If you keep kosher, would you serve meat with non-dairy 'cheese', or Swedish Glace after a meat meal?

balismum Fri 15-Aug-08 22:25:33

i do, and i would!

wierdly the fake ice cream after the meat meal is more common than fake cheese with meat but think that is just a matter of taste.

hope that helps.

ilovemydog Fri 15-Aug-08 22:34:48

Tricky. Am not Jewish, but would say the fake ice cream would be less of a shock? Have cooked kosher for family and it was a matter of what they were expecting.

I assume you are cooking for people who keep kosher? They may find it weird to have meat/dairy, even if it isn't really dairy?

But what do I know?

PrettyCandles Sun 17-Aug-08 15:05:02

Maybe Friday night was not the best time to post this question!

(Thanks for your answers, though.)

PrettyCandles Wed 20-Aug-08 13:35:01

?

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 22-Aug-08 14:24:02

When we go to Orthodox friends for Shabbat supper, they often serve a non-dairy ice cream after a meat dinner. They make it clear that it isn't dairy though. The last one we ate was pretty revolting and my friend commented "I think the best thing to be said for this pudding is that it's kosher!"

SqueakyPop Fri 22-Aug-08 14:25:37

I thought the whole point of observing Orthodox Judaism is to be obedient. So if you are going to keep Kosher, you should follow the rules to the letter.

lulumama Fri 22-Aug-08 14:27:54

my mum serves that ice cream after friday night dinner!! depends on how observant i think, don't know if my lubavitch relatives would eat it... would be a bit odd to have a kosher meat meal involving 'cheese' .. DH totally non observant and likes bacon bagels which makes me shock

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 22-Aug-08 16:15:56

But if you are having non-dairy ince cream after a meat meal, you are following the rules to the letter. [puzzled]

Non-dairy cheese sounds <boak>.

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 22-Aug-08 16:16:20

Oh and Shabbat Shalom to everyone. smile

frankie3 Fri 22-Aug-08 16:26:41

It is quite common to have Swedish Glace after a meat meal - served from the container so everyone can see what it is. Also to have a dessert with non-dairy cream - telling people what it is. But I have never had non-dairy cheese before, and I don't think many kosher people would be used to eating cheese after a meat meal. I guess there is no real reason for this - just traditionally what people are used to.

ilovemydog Fri 22-Aug-08 16:32:00

lulu - bacon bagels and cream cheese? shock

lulumama Fri 22-Aug-08 17:06:04

shabbat shalom!

no, no cream cheese, but bacon on a bagel, is just, well, wrong

bleargh!

swedish glace tastes like no ice cream on earth. mainly becasue there is no dairy in it

same as that weirdy non dairy butter..tomor.. just plain odd IMO!

ilovemydog Fri 22-Aug-08 17:07:50

Tofutti is non dairy ice cream and isn't that bad. The chocolate is the best smile

lulumama Fri 22-Aug-08 17:45:48

thanks smile

frankie3 Fri 22-Aug-08 20:08:43

A bacon bagel is wrong, but not as wrong as ordering a bacon cheese burger without the bun at Pesach.

ilovemydog Fri 22-Aug-08 20:16:14

shock

TotalChaos Fri 22-Aug-08 20:25:19

i'm not very observant, but have had Swedish glace type deserts in orthodox environments, but never non-dairy cheese with meat. So I agree with ilovemydog.

I agree with Lulu that very religious people would probably feel uncomfortable with anything that even mimicked something non-kosher.

PrettyCandles Sun 24-Aug-08 15:32:57

Why go out of your way to pretend a non-kosher food or combination? If you are a practicing Jew you accept that you don't eat a cheeseburger, or that you have to wait for the ice-cream.

I found it very weird and uncomfotable to be served a shrimp starter on an El Al flight. I couldn't believe my eyes, but was sure I must be being naive or ignorant about something. My sheitled seat-neighbour saw my confusion and rescued me by happily tucking in and explaining that it was a kosher processed fish product.

But it just seems wrong! Surely, by pretending to eat non-kosher, you are violating the spirit of the law, if not the letter of the law?

BTW, I am Jewish, brought up observant, but somewhat lapsed now.

PrettyCandles Sun 24-Aug-08 15:35:44

It was not the El Al food that prompted this thread (that happened years ago), but the fact that a lot of our family's food now has to be dairy-free. Whereas I would never, before, have served milk-meat combinations, I can now, but find that I don't want to as I don't want to confuse the dc. Also because it feels...wrong.

frankie3 Mon 25-Aug-08 18:51:28

I guess it's like when people have fake bread rolls at pesach - doesn't feel right to me.

RubySlippers Mon 25-Aug-08 18:55:31

i don't serve milk and meat together at home

i love the tofutti stuff

i also eat that fake bacon stuff (which i guess isn't in the spirit of keep kosher either)

can you get fake cheese?

RubySlippers Mon 25-Aug-08 18:56:27

the food at pesach is grimola (matza lasagne anyone) - why add to the horrors with fake bread <<bleugh>>

PrettyCandles Mon 25-Aug-08 23:34:06

The only decent fake cheese I'v found so far is the Tofutti cream cheese. Which is yummmmmmmy.

lisalisa Tue 26-Aug-08 22:28:51

HI Pc - how are you? We eat non dairy ice creams and non diary creams after meat meals on shabbat quite freqnelty - th4e tofutti ones are good and have improved quite a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now