Talk

Advanced search

Burchill gets God

(26 Posts)
UnquietDad Fri 15-Aug-08 11:29:42

crikey

As if I needed any more reasons to be an atheist... thanks, Julie.

ilovemydog Fri 15-Aug-08 11:33:05

There wasn't anything left for her to try smile

UnquietDad Fri 15-Aug-08 11:34:00

Well, quite!

Threadwworm Fri 15-Aug-08 11:35:29

I thought you meant she'd attacked him and left him for deadgrin

As usual, what she's written is self-absorbed tosh. But she is right about one thing: it takes more courage in our society to be a Christian than it does to be an atheist.

dittany Fri 15-Aug-08 11:42:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

neighbour Fri 15-Aug-08 11:53:12

Well shock value is her Thing

[hijack: unquietdad, did you see the thread I started for you a couple of months ago, drawing your attention to this article about creative writing courses, which reminded me of a post you made once? Probably you saw the original article already, but here it is in case you haven't]

UnquietDad Fri 15-Aug-08 12:01:14

Yes, I wonder what her next "thing" will be...

I think how much courage it takes depends where you are and who you are talking to. I've had atheist friends positively hectored and berated by a table full of Christians.

Thanks for the article, neighbour - think i missed it - will check it out!

Threadwworm Fri 15-Aug-08 12:04:05

True. And you are in the north, aren't you. I've noticed sionce moving to the north east that there are a lot more churchgoers here than in the south -- presumably Brighton is not a place of great church attendance!

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 15-Aug-08 12:06:23

She is a card

<<pats Julie on the head in patronising manner>>

EffiePerine Fri 15-Aug-08 12:08:31

maybe she should realise Christianity isn't all about her hmm

unlikely I know

Alambil Fri 15-Aug-08 12:40:57

oh how self-sacraficing she is hmm

whatever happened to humility?! Some christian she is - she don't even know the basics!

RubberDuck Fri 15-Aug-08 14:51:53

Oh God... she's on the Little Atoms podcast talking about hypocrisy ... her voice is sooooo annoying.

Tortington Fri 15-Aug-08 15:02:35

"I thought you meant she'd attacked him and left him for dead"

Threadworm - fantastic.

cornsilk Fri 15-Aug-08 15:03:45

''m trying to be a Christian"
Maybe she can start by avoiding sly digs at other religions. You are a bigot Burchill.

cornsilk Fri 15-Aug-08 15:04:39

She's been banging on about how great Cof E is for years. (yawn)

RubberDuck Fri 15-Aug-08 15:07:13

To be fair though, she's making some very good points on this podcast about the hypocrisy of the Green movement. Once you get over the whiny voice.

ninedragons Fri 15-Aug-08 15:15:04

And here was me thinking that absolutely nothing she ever said could make me like her less.

Certainty that her parents were on their way to somewhere better? Well yes, by definition that is true. They were on their way to somewhere without Julie Fucking Burchill.

Threadwworm Fri 15-Aug-08 16:56:34

Thanks custardosmile

LittleBella Fri 15-Aug-08 21:21:32

Gawdon Bennett that woman.

I can't quite make up my mind if her self-absorbtion is just utterly ludicrous being the most notable thing about her writing, or whether she is no more self-absorbed than yer average male journalist whose self-absorbtion I may only occasionally notice (like Johann Hari frinstance).

Mercy Fri 15-Aug-08 21:34:16

I can't even be bothered to read the link tbh (no reflection on UQD of course)

When she was one of the hip young gun-slingers I wanted to be like her. Now I'm glad I'm not.

I still remember her Guardian article about having had 7 terminations.

midnightexpress Fri 15-Aug-08 21:35:00

Me neither Mercy. God she's ghastly.

NotAnOtter Fri 15-Aug-08 21:36:22

lol uqd

Hassled Fri 15-Aug-08 21:46:26

She is a piece of work. All my instincts are to loathe her, but then she writes something provocative and just designed to get threads like this going and I have a sneaking admiration for her. She's very very good at what she does - which is riling people.

Y Y to teh sly digs at other faiths and the self-absorption. And no, she just didn't watch her parents' coffins slide away and feel joy; she may be a twat but she remains human.

Swedes Sun 17-Aug-08 00:34:54

Don't you lose weight on a diet of God and self-absorption?

Piffle Sun 17-Aug-08 00:42:23

if only she could absorb herself... That's what I call anti creationism
I loathe that woman something shocking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now