Talk

Advanced search

Any hindus here?

(4 Posts)
anothercoverup Fri 08-Aug-08 20:41:33

hi i have a friend who is hindu and on a couple of occasions recently, when it comes to us eating, hes said he cant eat meat today.I havent asked him why, but was hoping some1 could tell me? Dont wanna seem silly lol
thanks xxx

twoboots Sat 09-Aug-08 18:24:29

hindus can vary from complete vegans to those who consider themselves practicing, but eat meat anyway. beef is often the main meat that will be avoided. i have hindu friends who are avid meat eaters, but will go through phases (either continuous or intermittent) of not eating meat. one friend in particular had a sick mum so as well as praying and donating money to charity she stopped eating meat until her mum got better. perhaps something major is going on in your friend's life?

dharma Wed 27-Aug-08 16:42:43

Hi there

I am a Hindu and although I do eat meat, there are certain days when I wouldn't (remembering others, etc...)

I have friends who don't ever eat meat on Fridays, as this is holy for them.

There is no hard and fast rule - it's each to their own, really.

Generally though, beef is the meat avoided because the cow is a holy animal in Hinduism, as it provides milk.

Pomi Tue 09-Sep-08 17:25:25

My hindu friend told me that no kind of meat is allowed in hindu religion and she is a strict follower. Though sometimes i try to persuade her to taste it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now