Talk

Advanced search

Do RC and CofE view 'original sin' in the same way?

(10 Posts)
noolia Wed 06-Aug-08 11:52:59

That's it really!

noolia Mon 11-Aug-08 14:31:50

Anyone? I need to get my facts straight before possible discussions with MIL regarding christening!

SqueakyPop Tue 12-Aug-08 16:36:11

Don't know what RCs believe, but Anglicans believe that we have inherited a fallen nature. We have to be reborn, so that we die to our old life and rise to new life in Christ.

TakeMeHome Tue 12-Aug-08 19:17:10

Original sin may be taken to mean: (1) the sin that Adam committed; (2) a consequence of this first sin, the hereditary stain with which we are born on account of our origin or descent from Adam.

From the earliest times the latter sense of the word was more common, as may be seen by St. Augustine's statement: "the deliberate sin of the first man is the cause of original sin" (De nupt. et concup., II, xxvi, 43). It is the hereditary stain that is dealt with here. As to the sin of Adam we have not to examine the circumstances in which it was committed nor make the exegesis of the third chapter of Genesis.

Copied this from Catholic Encylopaedia wink

noolia Thu 14-Aug-08 14:44:30

Thank you! but, umm, is that the same or not? blush

LizziAndB Thu 14-Aug-08 15:24:01

I think it means they beleive the same...what is it you need to explian to you MIL?

noolia Thu 14-Aug-08 17:16:42

Well, basically MIL thinks that dd 'has original sin' and needs to baptised to get rid of it. I'm rather sad that she thinks that a baby has sin (actually I cried when I heard this). Also MIL is RC and dd is being christened as CofE (like me)- but we'll be taking her to services of both varieties and then she can choose herself when she's old enough. I was kind of hoping that the CofE view of original sin was a bit gentler than RC and that CofE babies didn't have sin but more a kind of inherited potential to sin IYSWIM. And the silly thing is that I'm really not very religious.

SqueakyPop Thu 14-Aug-08 18:06:03

Sin is a separation from God - it does not mean that the person is evil, or has actually has horrible thoughts/words/deeds. From this angle, a baby is sinful because he does not have a relationship with God.

Baptism is a public acknowledgement of a real relationship with God so it clears the original sin inherited from Adam.

As an Anglican, I have not come anyone bringing their babies for baptism who do it to wash away original sin. They do it to welcome their baby in to the family of God.

Of course, we all keep sinning after baptism because we still have an earthly nature, but through confession, prayer, etc, we can keep righting our relationship with God.

SqueakyPop Thu 14-Aug-08 18:09:09

Here is the Article of Religion concerning original sin:

9. Original or Birth-sin
Original sin is not found merely in the following of Adam's example (as the Pelagians foolishly say). It is rather to be seen in the fault and corruption which is found in the nature of every person who is naturally descended from Adam. The consequence of this is that man is far gone from his original state of righteousness. In his own nature he is predisposed to evil, the sinful nature in man always desiring to behave in a manner contrary to the Spirit. In every person born into this world there is found this predisposition which rightly deserves God's anger and condemnation. This infection within man's nature persists even within those who are regenerate. This desire of the sinful nature, which in Greek is called phronema sarkos and is variously translated the wisdom or sensuality or affection or desire of the sinful nature, is not under the control of God's law. Although there is no condemnation for those that believe and are baptized, nevertheless the apostle states that any such desire is sinful.

LizziAndB Fri 15-Aug-08 06:58:17

I wouldnt get to hung up on the fact that your baby had 'orginal sin', I would take it to mean that everyone isnt perfect the way God intended us to be, Eve and Adam sinned so as a result we have fallen short.(this does not make your child evil) I order to get rid of our sin we need to have a living faith, a personal one with Jesus/God. Getting a baby baptised will not get rid of there sin, nor will it an adults. Getting baptised is an outward sign of an inward change. It is about showing the world that your have changed from your sinful past and been cleaned (its symbolic) and have rised into a new life with Chirst as your savour. These are the reason I dont believe in child baptism I believe in believers baptism, it is up to you when you are older to make that choice. Being baptized doesnt make you saved, it doesnt get rid of your sin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now