Talk

Advanced search

What places do you find spiritually uplifting?

(18 Posts)
AMumInScotland Sat 02-Aug-08 20:34:30

Not necessarily from a religious point of view, but places where it all just feels "right" somehow.

I was thinking about this on holiday, as I felt the same sort of lift in Chartres Cathedral (a beautiful patch of flickering sunlight on the floor by the candles), and the Musee d'Orangerie (Monet's waterlilies in an amazing setting).

spiritofstlouis Sat 02-Aug-08 20:39:17

I find mountains incredibly uplifting. Don't have to be very high- I especially love the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons. I always feel closer to God when out in the wild.

Countingthegreyhairs Sat 02-Aug-08 20:54:23

Maternity units

Pruners Sat 02-Aug-08 21:13:01

Message withdrawn

tiredemma Sat 02-Aug-08 21:14:05

anywhere near the sea.

myermay Sun 03-Aug-08 16:13:18

for me it's the sea

ShowOfHands Sun 03-Aug-08 16:26:01

The faerie pools on Skye.

Kettle's Yard in Cambridge.

DutchOma Sun 03-Aug-08 17:38:58

Kew Gardens and Little Cloister in Westminster Abbey

DustyTV Sun 03-Aug-08 17:44:50

Edinburgh. I feel like I have arrived home when I go to Edinburgh. I feel an aching sensation to move there to live.

posieflump Sun 03-Aug-08 17:47:46

cathedrals, churches, gazing out at the sea, gazing out at the landcape from the top of a peak in the Lake District
Most impressive buildings give me a lift somehow, the celilings in the British Museum for example, or just wtching London go by as you leave on a train from Charing Cross

Countingthegreyhairs Sun 03-Aug-08 18:18:48

Fountains Abbey in N. Yorkshire is wonderful too

DumbledoresGirl Sun 03-Aug-08 18:19:41

My special beach. The sea does it every time really.

zippitippitoes Sun 03-Aug-08 18:21:10

i trekked up mount sinai overnight

loads of people but still magical as a collective esperience waiting for sunrise

zippitippitoes Sun 03-Aug-08 18:22:06

in fact being with all those people from all over the world part of the spiritual sensation and the physical effort/history

mosschops30 Sun 03-Aug-08 18:22:24

Byron Bay in Australia - a truly magical place
Worth Abbey in Sussex - a real haven for me and escape from life
And of course Newcastle - where my heart lies and I believe I really belong, I miss is every day Im away

nailpolish Sun 03-Aug-08 18:24:05

me too prune im not religious at all but i love York Minster

we had many family holidays to York when i was little and i begged to to the Minster every time

also Lunan Bay in Angus

its like a secret beach that no one else knows about

twicer Thu 07-Aug-08 18:24:01

I've never felt spiritual uplift in any of the places where it's expected. On the rare occasions that it's happened, it's been in places like supermarkets, or the office, or in my back garden. I'm afraid churches and cathedrals leave me cold.

twicer Thu 07-Aug-08 18:26:55

I've never felt spiritual uplift in any of the places where it's expected. On the rare occasions that it's happened, it's been in places like supermarkets, or the office, or in my back garden. I'm afraid churches and cathedrals leave me cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now