Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

anyone know any simple healing meditations?

(14 Posts)
SuperSillyus Wed 30-Jul-08 11:35:39

My lovely childhood friend is going through chemotherapy at the moment.

I had heard that meditating every day can really help for some people going through this.

We have only found each other after years so I don't know how religious she is, but she has said she is open to trying meditation.

SuperSillyus Wed 30-Jul-08 11:56:49

Anyone know any?

SuperSillyus Wed 30-Jul-08 12:16:12

bump

Cappuccino Wed 30-Jul-08 12:17:07

didn't want to leave you alone and unanswered but, no, sorry blush

I am sure that there will be books if you google, maybe as a supportive present?

SuperSillyus Wed 30-Jul-08 12:22:26

thanks, good idea....trots off to google.....

SuperSillyus Wed 30-Jul-08 13:34:24

Found this which is what I was looking for if anyone is interested.

Sit in a comfortable position

Start to imagine that your body is slowly filling with light, starting from the feet and slowly moving upwards

As the light is moving up your body ----- feel that this light is relaxing the muscles and your mind.

Now imagine that any areas of disease or pain in your body is surrounded by a dark shadow which represents the unhealthy area.

I feel the light moving upwards until my entire body is filled with light and every muscle of my body is feeling relaxed.

Now feel that your body of light is radiating the light out from your eyes, the light is shining as if a torch is shinning out from your eyes.

Now feel that you are directing the light towards any area of the body that is giving you pain or discomfort, represented as a shadow on your body.

Feel that you are sending extra light to this area that is in pain or discomfort.

Imagine that the diseased or painful areas have dark shadows surrounding it.

Now feel that you are shinning a loving healing light to the diseased or painful areas so that the darkness is removed.

I radiate my shining light to my body and fill my bodies with this warm healing light.

I now radiate this healing light to the world.

I begin to feel that this healing light is returning me to health and vitality

Perfect health is available to me now.

Cappuccino Wed 30-Jul-08 13:43:18

oh hang on

themeditationpodcast.com

poshtottie Wed 30-Jul-08 13:48:53

metta bhavana - the practice of loving kindness

thebecster Wed 30-Jul-08 13:56:50

I think this book is wonderful for simple meditations and has CD enclosed.

For yourself I'd highly recommend this book

SuperSillyus Wed 30-Jul-08 14:05:41

Brilliant. Thanks so much this is all really helpfull.

piglet72 Wed 30-Jul-08 15:51:43

She could try smiling...I know it sound silly but.
Sit with your eyes closed and smile, let the smile fill you up, from heat to toe.
It is a instant mood lifter and the best thing for any illness is positive energy zaping it away.
Tell he to visualize herself healthy, not 'I dont wan to feel ill', just health, doing something she loves doing.
I found the book, The sectet is really good at explaining how positive energy can help.
Hope that helps
Px

piglet72 Wed 30-Jul-08 15:55:57

Just thought,
Cancer as a Turning Point: A Handbook for People with Cancer by Lawrence Leshan. He has written about meditation and his son runs a cancer clinic in the US all based on meditation and healing.
Px

slim22 Wed 30-Jul-08 16:26:32

if she can't sit still comfortably, lie down on back and open arms(palms open and facing up) and legs.

breathe deeply 10 to 20 times making out breathe twice as long as in breath (say count 2-4 or 3-6 etc...)
The breath will naturally lenghten as you relax and lenghtening the breath conciously will force your body to relax and help you clear your head as it gives the mind something to focus on.

At this point, I also do the light thing. Simply imagine you are lying in a park, on a beach, anywhere really (my favorite is on a cliff with shiny blue sea below). You are outdoors, it's sunny and beautiful and totally open horizons. The impression you have is like when you are napping outdoors. You smile, you are drifting, warm and cozy, you let yourself go but are still aware of your surrounding.the light permeates through your closed eylids.

Now when you are totally relaxed start directing your breath in particular areas of the body.
with the in breath you bring oxygen, light, life to heal and nourish, with the out breath you expel stale, negative energy.

You know you are doing it right when you breath through the nose, mouth closed but jaw not clenched. the tip of your tongue rests lightly behind your top front teeth and your breath is heavy in and out through the back of your throat and your nose.

takes a bit of practice.
I still love hearing a soothing guiding voice even if I have an established practice.
a cd is a good idea

this is a lovely idea. best wishes to your friend.

saltnshake Mon 11-Aug-08 22:45:39

http://www.project-meditation.org/
I've been trying this for a few weeks and like it. It teaches basic meditation and is free. There are also ones for specific things such as health here http://www.youtube.com/user/projectmeditation but it helps to do the first one first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now