Talk

Advanced search

Readings and prayers from any religion for son's dedication

(3 Posts)
thebecster Wed 30-Jul-08 10:38:40

I'm organising my son's dedication ceremony (like baptism/christening type service) but we're Unitarian which means I need to choose the readings and prayers myself, rather than getting a set service. They can be from any religion - our family is a mix of religions, and brief description of our Unitarian church which we attend regularly is below. I would like to find a couple of readings and a couple of prayers.

I'd be so grateful if any of you would share with me prayers or readings from your religions which might be appropriate for the service. A lot of DH's family are Jewish, so would love something appropriate there... I will be putting a Christian prayer I'm fond of into the service. Am feeling a little lost in the sea of potential spiritual traditions!

Summary of our Unitarian Chapel's tradition:-

"We welcome people of all religious faiths as well as those who are humanistic. We cherish and live by the values of love, compassion, a free mind, service to others, human dignity, and other similar values. We encourage each person to deepen their relationship with God, yet allow each person to understand God in their own unique way. We learn from the teachings of Jesus, yet also draw inspiration from all the world religions, as well as the arts, sciences, and psychology."

Sincerely grateful to anyone who can help me!

Minkus Wed 13-Aug-08 12:43:33

Oh wow becster your church sounds wonderful. I've just posted a thread about what to call non godly godparents and said that we're sort of christian- think i might try and find a unitary chapel (think we're christian humanitarians!)

Sorry back to your request! I love this one:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

traditional gaelic blessing

thebecster Tue 26-Aug-08 15:20:31

Thank you Minkus! I was on holiday when you replied, hence being so slow with my 'thank yous'! That's a lovely blessing. DSs godparents are 2 x CofE, 1 x Jewish, 1 x agnostic - they're all people who live by values that I want him to see as he grows up, and who we want to formalise them being part of his life.

Have to say though, being Unitarian is much harder work than just turning up and having something straight out of the Alternative Service Book!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now