Talk

Advanced search

Anyone read "the Secret"? Has it worked for you?

(18 Posts)
allgonebellyup Wed 16-Jul-08 19:38:45

Just been reading it today..
not sure whether to be overcome with cynicism or excitement about all the wonderful things that are due to come my way..?

allgonebellyup Wed 16-Jul-08 19:45:06

bump

LoveMyGirls Wed 16-Jul-08 19:46:33

I've heard about it, I don't see the harm in a bit of positive thinking tbh

It's worked quite well for me, once I decide I want something I focus on it until I get it, not sure if that's down to sheer determination, hard work, luck or positive thinking but as long as i keep getting what I want im happy grin

LoveMyGirls Wed 16-Jul-08 19:56:33

I think excitment is the way to go tbh

A few things I've said I wanted over the past 2 years are........
a bigger house (We'd been on the transfer list for 2 yrs, we'd been looking at buying a house but nowhere would lend us the money because I'm self employed, dp kept saying we've got no chance of getting a bigger house, we're stuck here, we can't move to a different area because if we do you'll have to start the business again from scratch, I said no something will happen to make us move) not long after out of the blue I got a letter from the housing association asking if we'd like to move to a 3 bed house in the same street.

I said I wanted a bigger car (I'm a childminder, in order to take on more children I needed more car space) dp said no way can we afford a bigger car, I brought a 7 seater espace for £200 not long after, it's cost me a bit since then to get it in working order but still cheaper than the 1k dp was saying it would cost!

Theres other things too like saying I wanted to earn at least 1k per month from the start of this year, now it looks like I haven't achieved this every month but if you average it out over the last 6mths I have earnt just over 1k per month so far this year now I'm aiming higher more like £1,700 per month and I'd like an 8 seater car when I can.

I wanted to get married but dp didn't I wrote on a piece of paper that we would get married in 2009 and didn't tell dp, he proposed in may and we've set teh date for sept 2009 even though when we got engaged he said he wasn't getting married until 2010 and no i didn't nag him until he gave in though I did suggest it would be cheaper to have a honeymoon in sept rather than may.....

allgonebellyup Wed 16-Jul-08 20:19:36

yay
i will try to follow your example!

LoveMyGirls Wed 16-Jul-08 20:32:09

I've got a friend who is really into it and encourages me I'm not actually mad to be so positive about life.

I'm happier than I've been in years, we're still skint but thats because we've spent more money on doing fun things this year which was another thing I said I wanted to do, so far this year I've............ been to amsterdam for a weekend, seen the enemy, seen the foo fighters at wembley, got engaged obviously grin and we've also booked a few days in chester, a few days camping and taking dd1 to see girls aloud for her birthday as well as going to the V festival (didnt think we'd be able to go because of childcare but my mum offered to have dd's for us when I mentioned dp wanted to go), coldplay tickets and a night in a posh hotel for dp's boss's wedding.

allgonebellyup Wed 16-Jul-08 20:46:18

Gosh
hope it all works for me

Hope my career plans work out and that we may have a bit more money, sick of struggling.

..and i hope to fall in love again one day..ahhhh.. that would be sweet

LoveMyGirls Wed 16-Jul-08 21:10:52

Try writing your goals down on a piece of paper.

I did mine in Dec and I've just got it out for the first time they are......

win £27,000 in march 2008 (ok so this didnt happen lol but whats the harm in writing it down?)

I am getting married (I am actually getting married after being with dp for nearly 7 yrs and starting to think it would never happen!)

I am debt free (humm well there have been times I have been debt free technically but dp isn't and his debts are mine so I'm not really debt free and at the moment my overdraught is in a very sorry state but it will be sorted by sept so i'm not panicking too much)

My business is doing really well (it is doing really well, better than I had imagined actually)

SO try to be realistic but optomistic and hopefully it will work out smile

allgonebellyup Wed 16-Jul-08 22:16:53

thanks

anyone else read it?

allgonebellyup Thu 17-Jul-08 10:09:39

bump

aquasea Thu 17-Jul-08 10:13:42

I have read it and try to generally stick to it. DH hasn't read it but he is naturally like this. He just believes things that he wants will definitely happen...and they always do.

Beetroot Thu 17-Jul-08 10:16:18

so tell us the rules then - is it like asking the cosmos for someting?

allgonebellyup Thu 17-Jul-08 10:31:06

you have to believe in the rule of attraction - if you think good things in your head of what you really want, and behave as if they are already yours, then eventually it will be yours.

Beetroot Thu 17-Jul-08 11:40:52

we are doing that with a project we have on the go!

Hard work though

allgonebellyup Thu 17-Jul-08 13:19:05

i really really cant see how the things i am wishing for can happen - but i wont give up hope! (yet)

Martha200 Thu 17-Jul-08 22:32:46

Try reading ask and it is given by esther and jerry hicks first, explains about the law of attraction fairly simply (or so I thought)

mavornia Sun 20-Jul-08 22:43:02

I read it - and whilst I don't disagree with the actual concept, I disliked the way it spun a whole glossy book out of a pretty simple concept and made out that there is actually some big "secret" that we are being made privy too

manifesting what you want/thinking positively/the cosmic ordering service or whatever you want to call it is hardly a new idea

I do think positive thinking can be a very powerful thing and anything that reminds us of this is a useful tool

however, there were some things in the book that I found very objectionable like the focus on material wealth and the idea that you shouldn't even look at overweight people so as to avoid the possibility of becoming fat - and the idea that the author eats whatever she wants but magically maintains her ideal weight because her body won't take in more calories from the food than what she wants...please, I actually think that's a dangerous thing to be saying

allgonebellyup Wed 23-Jul-08 18:30:47

marvonia - i totally agree with you, they have padded the book out with all these different quotes and ways of spinning the "positive thinking" thing into a 100 different sections.

It does sound quite patronizing, and the way they keep repeating "the Secret" every 2 minutes sounds like they are just advertising their product as much as they can.

My aunt is in a coma in hospital and has been in this state since xmas day (she fell down stairs), my uncle is so calm about it all - he told my mum he knows she will be ok, and it doesnt cross his mind that she may never wake up.
He seems so happy, he told my mum that "the Secret" has changed his whole life.
God, i hope that book is right - he swears by it, i really hope he isnt let down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now