Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Non-believers....Could you ever been involved with anyone who was religious?

(64 Posts)
KerryMum Mon 14-Jul-08 23:26:19

Heard from an old boyfriend. He was raised 7th day adventist. hmm but rebelled (I guess) when he went off to university and was very anti-organized religion (as am I). Well, it seems he has refound his faith and tbh I'm just not that interested in having any sort of relationship friendship or other with someone who is very religious.

We had a very serious relationship and lived together for some time.

SilkCutMama Mon 14-Jul-08 23:28:21

Forget the religion, do you like him?

It didn't work first time around though and I am a big believer in "never going back"

Tinker Mon 14-Jul-08 23:29:00

No. Wishy-washy, "don't really know what I believe" ers I could cope with but out and out practising types, no, I don't think it'd work.

expatinscotland Mon 14-Jul-08 23:29:43

No

S1ur Mon 14-Jul-08 23:31:10

no.

It may well end up affecting a lot of aspects of his and maybe your life.

harpsichordcarrier Mon 14-Jul-08 23:32:07

no, absolutely no way. especially not with children in the equation.

KerryMum Mon 14-Jul-08 23:48:10

yes. I know you all are right.

pity.

7th day adventists are particularly loopy aren't they?

I don't get it. He is hyper intelligent. (que all religious sorts to get offended)

TheMagnificent7 Tue 15-Jul-08 00:14:46

7th dayers are OK as it goes. Like a Saturday instead of a Sunday (chronolically correct, and hence their name). Other than that they like a bit of a good diet and healthy living, and are known for being very conservative.

Sort of a Daily Mail of religions by all accounts.

Yep. Steer clear

madamez Tue 15-Jul-08 00:24:55

ONly if he/she shut up about the superstition and wasn't forever on at me to come along to nuttersville with them.

ninedragons Tue 15-Jul-08 00:25:04

Never. Agnostic would be ok but nothing more. Certainly not a Seventh-Day Adventist or a Scientologist or one of the true fruitcake religions.

expatinscotland Tue 15-Jul-08 00:25:43

Sorry, KM, but 7th dayers are dead loopy!

I used to work with two of them.

Weirdorama!

zippitippitoes Tue 15-Jul-08 00:30:06

you could lure him to the path of the other side

how come when i was a teen allthe christian guys were gross
but i have seen some on tv lately and they look dead hot

expatinscotland Tue 15-Jul-08 00:31:14

i sat next to this hot born-again bloke in 11th grade English.

but he wouldn't have made a good slut so i wound up going out with some Dutch bloke who didn't have all those 'save it till marriage' hangups .

stitch Tue 15-Jul-08 00:31:31

no

expatinscotland Tue 15-Jul-08 00:49:24

Sooner or later, he'll trot out the religious stuff.

There are way too many men in the world for that stuff.

S1ur Tue 15-Jul-08 00:52:03

zippi they keep the uglies in the basement.

expatinscotland Tue 15-Jul-08 00:57:35

they have all these weird rules, too.

and all that church time, too.

no, thanks.

KerryMum Tue 15-Jul-08 01:12:14

sigh. we had great sex.

KerryMum Tue 15-Jul-08 01:13:05

I remember he used to say all this shit about his parents because of their religion. Very disdainful. Wonder what happened.

Will have to write back and ask him.

zippitippitoes Tue 15-Jul-08 01:15:21

wewll thats hopeful then

you could do that shag every day for a year like that woman who was a churchgoer

i am finding that guys can be unexpected

warthog Tue 15-Jul-08 02:33:06

no way

madamez Tue 15-Jul-08 09:20:26

I have plenty of religious pals, mind you. We agree to differ and don't much discuss the subject. But given that all the major religions have profoundly unpleasant underlying views on women and sex, shagging religious men is rarely a good idea.

AMumInScotland Tue 15-Jul-08 10:10:57

I think it's tricky to have a serious relationship with someone whose view of the world is very different from your own, whether that's because of religion or anything else.

If he strongly "believed in" another cause which you thought was simply nonsense (eg vegetarian, animal rights, whatever) and went to meetings about it every week, it would be difficult to get round that too.

(I'll not take the bait about the difference between what religions teach and what people use them to justify on this occasion grin)

Ambi Tue 15-Jul-08 10:21:06

I don't know, only if they didn't spout hellfire and brimstone, in fact never mentioned it EVER. I guess you'll always have a difference in opinions in any relationship.

allgonebellyup Tue 15-Jul-08 11:31:49

i dont think i could.

Sometimes i have fancied a bloke from afar - but then i have found out that he is a full-on-mad-christian and my interest in him just vanishes from that moment on!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now