Talk

Advanced search

Grandparents as Godparents?

(6 Posts)
Jjou Mon 14-Jul-08 11:39:40

I was just wondering what everyone's views on Grandparents as Godparents is? I know it's very much not the done thing, but is it possible?
Background: my DP is Catholic, and I was raised C of E. We attend Mass in our local Catholic church, and i intend to convert to Catholicism, and DD is being baptised there in a couple of weeks. However neither my DP or I have any Catholic friends to be Godparents (DP is an only child and not in contact with his old school friends). My sister's DP was originally asked, and he is Catholic, but has backed out at the last minute, leaving us with only C of E Godparents-to-be. Our Priest told us at least 1 Godparent had to be Catholic, but now we need a replacement, leaving realistically only one of DD's paternal grandparents. ??? Is this completely out of the question? All we want is for DD to be baptised, but this Godparent thing is stressing us both out!

AnnieAreYouOkAreYouOkAnnie Mon 14-Jul-08 11:44:07

It's quite common in Ireland for Grandparents to be Godparents, even though the majority of family/friends/in-laws are all Catholic too.
It would be absolutely fine for DP's parents to step in.

Tommy Mon 14-Jul-08 11:50:32

it would be fine if you haven't anyone else.

or you could ask the priest to be god parent

AMumInScotland Mon 14-Jul-08 11:50:54

I don't think there's any rule that says they can't be godparents - anyone who's going to be there for the children and help them develop as Christians should be fine. Younger people are traditional, partly because it's often godparents who are named as guardians in case of an accident, and younger ones are more likely to be still around if that should happen.

Tommy Mon 14-Jul-08 11:52:14

or any friends that you have made while going to church?

Jjou Mon 14-Jul-08 12:56:13

Thanks for your replies, they've made me feel a lot better. Tommy - we haven't really made any friends at Church yet, more to smile and let onto people, but no Godparent prospects smile
It's one of those situations where we'll have to brave the raised eyebrows over the 'proper' way to do things, but if everyone's as understanding as on here then i'm sure we'll be fine. Ok, onto worrying about the party afterwards!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now