Talk

Advanced search

Freaky weird moment for agnostic.....

(72 Posts)
KerryMum Tue 08-Jul-08 23:57:06

driving to Dublin late Friday afternoon. Tired. ds1 in back. Hit stretch of road with construction running for 9 kms. Barriers on either side of road. Can't pull over.

TIRED TIRED TIRED.

So tired that eyes are CLOSING. Again and again and again.

Actually nodded off for a milisecond.

Freaking out but can't pull over.

Eyes close again and then bam.

One of my most favorite songs comes on the radio. It has a "spiritual" bent. I'd go so far as to say it is about God.

here

Woke me right up.

Lyrics very freaky.

Bright eyed after.

hmm

KerryMum Tue 08-Jul-08 23:59:30

so what do other agnostic\atheist people do when you have brushes with weirdness?

madamez Wed 09-Jul-08 00:03:54

Well I generally remember that things like this are just random coincidences. Because there is no evidence at all of them being anything else.

And did anyone else ever think the first line of that song was 'SOmetimes I feel like throwing my pants up in the air?'

Tinker Wed 09-Jul-08 00:09:53

I just remember all the times these things don't happen ie most of teh time

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 00:17:21

that's true, they don't.

random though? I don't know.

madamez you have a dirty mind!

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 00:17:37

Not that there's anything wrong with that

UnquietDad Wed 09-Jul-08 00:36:34

It's an excuse to use my favourite poncy Latin phrase - "post hoc ergo propter hoc" - which illustrates the logical fallacy that, because one thing happened after something else, there must have been some connection.

It applies in just about every case to do with superstition - where a conclusion is based solely on the ordering/juxtaposition of events.

MaryBS Wed 09-Jul-08 08:31:25

Wow! I'm just glad you're OK!

Whether or not you believe its something more than just a coincidence, thats something only you can decide.

But WOW! Some years ago, I fell asleep at the wheel, on the M25. I was woken up by the "rumble strip" as I drifted over... I vowed I'd never do anything so stupid again (well, unless you count marrying my ex wink)

lou031205 Wed 09-Jul-08 09:05:36

Well, I would be thinking that I needed to investigate whether I had just experienced God, but then I am a Christian!!

madamez Wed 09-Jul-08 09:51:34

Oh FFS, do you superstitious types see your imaginary friends in everything? 'Mmm, had a really painless dump this morning despite eating 2 vindaloos and a chilli, must be something supernatural at work...'

NigellaTheOriginal Wed 09-Jul-08 09:57:23

Fate? gods? goddesses? coincidence?
good song though.

TheProvincialLady Wed 09-Jul-08 09:58:04

There is such a huge difference between how an agnostic might react and how an atheist would. One is open minded, the other has already decided.

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 10:01:01

yes. See I am thoroughly against organized "religion" of any sort.

I would lean towards the possibility that there are forces beyond our immediate comprehension. But God as defined by religion? No.

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 10:01:50

It is a great song. Not my usual taste tbh but I have always loved it and the vid.

UnquietDad Wed 09-Jul-08 10:36:00

I love this implication that one is not "open-minded" if one does not accept every single piece of daftness and irrationality that people want to believe in the world.

Greyriverside Wed 09-Jul-08 10:45:42

TheProvincialLady, My suggestion is that Bugs Bunny called the radio station when his super bunny eyes (all those carrots) spotted the danger and asked them to play a song that would help.

Can you accept that as a real possibility or is your mind closed?

KerryMum Wed 09-Jul-08 11:28:18

lol @ bugs bunny

TheProvincialLady Wed 09-Jul-08 11:49:22

I am not saying that one is right and one is wrong but by definition an agnostic has not decided and an atheist has. Blimey, touch you atheists aren't you?wink

TheProvincialLady Wed 09-Jul-08 11:49:33

touchy

Greyriverside Wed 09-Jul-08 12:02:52

It's possible to appreciate Kerrymum's story without really believing in anything and 'thank god!' (lol) that someone played the song just then

Anyway I quite like the idea of god as DJ. It must get boring up there.

Atheists haven't decided against the existence of anything really. We've just not decided to believe in <insert myth here> without at least some indication that there is something to believe in.

bruxeur Wed 09-Jul-08 12:09:50

God is a DJ. Maxi Jazz said so.

justabout Wed 09-Jul-08 12:11:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UnquietDad Wed 09-Jul-08 12:13:38

It's not a question of "deciding", provinciallady. Atheists just don't believe in stuff which all the available evidence points towards being made-up. Surely there are things you don't believe in? Fairies, demons, dragons, elves?...

And an agnostic thinks the answer is unknowable, which is not quite the same as not deciding. I can be unable to decide between cheese and marmite or ham and pickle sandwiches, but that's not unknowable, it's just soemthing I can't make my mind up about.

justabout Wed 09-Jul-08 12:29:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

madamez Wed 09-Jul-08 12:37:15

Well, justabout, gullible bucketheads are inclined to see wooo in anything (whether they call it god, a higher power, or the return of their dead grandma to give them a quick psychic goose if they've stopped in the middle of the road with their mouth open). Rational people just accept coincidence, remember all the times nothing particular happened and go about their business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now