Talk

Advanced search

Question for Catholics

(6 Posts)
goingslowlymad Sat 05-Jul-08 19:10:18

I'm not a Catholic, nor do I know anything about religion, but some friends of mine who have just had a baby are.

I was just wondering if the babies of Catholics are Christened or Baptised or something? Is it called a Christening? And what age it usually happens at? My friends go to church every Sunday so are reasonably dedicated to their faith but I feel uneasy asking them about it, not really sure why.

To those in the know I am sure this sounds like a completely ridiculous question blush

SqueakyPop Sat 05-Jul-08 19:13:01

Not a Catholic, but I think I can answer.

Baptism and Christening are the same thing. Religious folks usually use the term baptism.

As for timings, my catholic relatives have the view of 'as soon as practical' (ie within a few weeks of the birth).

GrapefruitMoon Sat 05-Jul-08 19:13:11

can be called either Christening or baptism - may depend on where their families are from....

In Ireland babies are usually "done" quite young - 2 or 3 months old. But can be later, especially in the UK - say up to a year old.

sophiewd Sat 05-Jul-08 19:17:31

Baptism or christening, we had DD done at 4 months and will get DS done at 4 months manily because if we get itr done any later they won't be able to fit into the family christening dress

Swade Sat 23-Aug-08 18:32:12

Hi,
New to this so please bear with me!
I have been asked to be a godparent to my friends little girl (who I adore). They are catholic - I am C of E. Apparently I am a witness in the proceedings. Please could someone help me out my letting me know what I do on the day as quite anxious about it. Do I have to sign any certificates/fill out forms on the day? I have been to christenings before, but never a catholic one.
Thank you in anticipation.

Tommy Mon 25-Aug-08 23:14:10

Hi - you won't have to complete any forms or sign anything. Your friend will have given your name to the priest who will put it on the baptism certificate.

The ceremony is very similiar to the CoE one - you will have to make the promises and agree to support your friend in bringing up the child as a Christian

Enjoy it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now